Drivers have your say

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
ozproducts

Drivers have your say

Post by ozproducts »

So let’s start and talk about what we would like to happen with our racing,I will start with what I would like to see happen.
So it sounds like some people don’t like racing on the big track at HSC, if we are going to lose racers ,
can racing on it.
I would also like to see the years racing broken up into three series not one year long one,eg Autum Winter Spring series each series is held over 4 rounds 3 at HSC and 1 at SSME.
Racing should be held on Sundays so we have time to have 3min heats.
Entry Fees go up to $15. Per class
To move forward with retro let’s introduce stock cars with cheetah 4 motors and start racing from the winter series. People who don’t know stock cars are 4.5 “ 120grams 3inchs wide with .015” bodies.
The SRC worked well this year with good entries, SO don’t change it.
Big Races are
Australia Day Classic
NSW Titles
Australian Titles
Jack Brabham Trophy ( for F1’s )
Geoghegan Trophy
At these races I would like to see Qualifying , Semls and Finals
So please add to this and we will talk at drivers meeting after Rd one state titles
ozproducts

Re: Drivers have your say

Post by ozproducts »

I would also like to see a enduro championship 2 rounds at HSC and 2 at SSME for points and Trophies at end of series
brady

Post by brady »

Is that you Cody?
ozproducts

Post by ozproducts »

no
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Hi guys
I previously raised the idea of changing to all STR racing, so you know my view. Having said that, it is not a very strong opinion personally and more a reflection of what I was hearing around the ‘pits’. I know some people don’t enjoy the challenge that the STR brings as well.
I enjoy the building, the racing and the company that comes with Retro. I will continue racing Retro whatever decision is made.
I like the gist of Wayne’s suggestions and would be happy to go with them.
Still once a month ?
Personally, Sunday morning would suit me better than Saturday night. Still once a month, we should all be able to arrange our schedules to any day.
Sunday morning would allow more time for more classes (RetroPro ?) So why not run CanAm, F1 and Stockers every meet. Maybe staying with 2 min racing? Are there any bodies available for Australian cars to run in Stock cars? Can someone bend me some.78 wire so I can lengthen out one of my Warmack’s to 4.5 ?
Maybe we can run RetroPro on the big track as well.
Are you thinking of running endurance racing on Sunday as well? At the expense of sprint racing?
If the ‘Big Races’ are to be run on Sunday and counting the Endurance series that’s 9 Sunday’s used up, which is pretty much the year we race now.
Further on the Enduro series - what about alternating between CanAm and F1? One on each track.
I would like to race at SSME more often, so I would welcome suggestions for that too.
Yes the SRC is working.
No rule changes!!!
Sorry this is a bit rambling I am thinking out loud so to speak.
Cheers
Neil
ozproducts

Post by ozproducts »

[quote][/quote]That’s what I am after Neil now if the other 12 drivers get on and have a bitch, say We might get some were. Don’t know about retro pro Would be good to use same motor in three classes
ozproducts

Post by ozproducts »

Your got my vote for F1 enduros
Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox »

OZ said - in italics.

My response in bold text - here goes.

So let’s start and talk about what we would like to happen with our racing, I will start with what I would like to see happen.

So it sounds like some people don’t like racing on the big track at HSC, if we are going to lose racers , can racing on it.

I agree we need to discuss this and come to a consensus and then discuss with James.

I would also like to see the years racing broken up into three series not one year long one,eg Autum Winter Spring series each series is held over 4 rounds 3 at HSC and 1 at SSME.

Why have 3 series?

Remember that the current series is the HSC Club Series sponsored by James. Are you proposing somehow combining an HSC Club Series with races at SSME?

Dosent the SRC already cover this ground to a degree.

Racing should be held on Sundays so we have time to have 3min heats.
Entry Fees go up to $15. Per class.

I don't think Sundays would work for James (I guess you mean during the day when he has parties and commercial track hire operations going???). Personally I am not keen on racing during the day on Saturday or Sunday as these are days a lot of people have family or other commitments.

Why raise the price as some people struggle as it is?

I have never understood why we can't have 3 min heats as the length of the heat and the lane change are the only periods that can be controlled precisely. The wasted time while people amble around like browns cows is the issue IMHO.

Let's face it - we usually have 4 races of 8 brackets - increasing the brackets by 1 minute adds 32 minutes to the total event time. Ultimately it is James call but if we could say start earlier or be a little more efficient in tome management we could in all liklyhood run 3 min heats and finish not much later!

To move forward with retro let’s introduce stock cars with cheetah 4 motors and start racing from the winter series. People who don’t know stock cars are 4.5 “ 120grams 3inchs wide with .015” bodies.

That format/class sounds horrible to me - can't say I would be interested in racing what sounds like a boat.

Who is going to build the cars for the non builders.

The way to move forward for mine is to preserve and grow what we have rather than adding another class.

The SRC worked well this year with good entries, SO don’t change it.

Agree 100%

Big Races are
Australia Day Classic
NSW Titles
Australian Titles
Jack Brabham Trophy ( for F1’s )
Geoghegan Trophy

At these races I would like to see Qualifying , Semls and a Main.

OK nothing new here re the big Races BUT:-

I have thought a lot over the years how to sort out these races.

Qualifying yes, but then what?

If two semis leading to a main then the semis need to be organised along the lines of evens race a semi and then the odds run a semi with the top 4 from each going to a main. And here's the rub - the guys that miss out then get the pleasure of marshalling for the quick/lucky guys while they get a extra race.

I think that the system should be bottom half of qualifiers race a B Main and then the top half run an A Main. This way everybody gets to race against a similar skill racer and all get the same race time regardless of ability - remember it's about FUN.

I would also like to see a enduro championship 2 rounds at HSC and 2 at SSME for points and Trophies at end of series.

Good God more Trophies! FFS we are grown men and IMHO the trophy thing is a bit behind us don't you think? I told Stoo that when I die Pip is going to hand out a trophy to all funeral attendees (this idea comes from a funeral of a good geologist friend of mine who unfortunately passed away before his time - his family decided to give all of us a rock from his extensive collection to remember him by) and Stoo said great - I'm going to grab a Retro TQ Trophy at least.

Forget the Trophy shit. The problem that if it is a series and somebody misses one race they don't compete in the others - let's just race when we can if we can.

The turn out for the Enduro has not set the world on fire that's for sure - let's not try to screw it any further.

OK that's me for a starter - no doubt I will have more to say.

Regards
Regards - Mark 8-)

"Do Less with More Focus"
brady

Post by brady »

Hi Wayne.First up let me say I understand and respect your ideas here.But my own personal views differ,especially when you consider the number of racers we have and also considering they cant attend every meeting.Personally I have no interest in anymore class of car be it 41/2 inch or retro pro.I would rather race soley on the small track but will support the big track if it remains that way.I see no reason to split the season into 3 parts.I also see no reason to run a round at SSME,they can run their own.The SRC and enduros are enough to bring us all together.As far as qualy goes I think that for these times its BS.Just draw your starting lane out of the hat, run the appropriate number of races and the most laps wins, even for champioship races.I cant make it to a lot of races these days but for me race night is Sat night,keep Sundays for enduros and special events.Whatever happens its upto James.He's the one battling to keep us all racing.As far as trophys go the ADC,Geogan, Nats and State are enough.Respectifully yours Brad.PS.Let me clarify what I mean about SSME running their own series.It would let those who wanted,to race a couple of times a month.I was not being sepratist nor unwelcoming.
Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox »

Spot on Brad - pretty much aligning with my thoughts.

I still like Qualifying for the big races however as a method to ‘seed’ the entrants into respective races as I mentioned above. I reckon everybody’s fun is enhanced by racing against similar levels of speed/experience.
Regards - Mark 8-)

"Do Less with More Focus"
Casey

Post by Casey »

Hello Everyone
I'm not one to have a say a lot on the keyboard as it can get way out of hand I much prefer face to face but saying that I do have a couple of things too say from my perspective

1. For me day weekend racing is difficult because of Family so not a fan of this idea
2. Big events should have Qualifying
3. No to 4 1/2 inch
4. Interested in a sidewinder pro-class not fussed either way I like the building
5. Trophies are a waste of time we are not Kids anymore I take of the plate and return the trophy to James to recycle
6. if we don't end up Racing Both tracks I will pull out of Retro racing all together I have plenty of other classes to race
7. $15 a class so on a F1/Can-am night that's $30 plus I have almost $20 into road tolls than food and drink say $10 so I'm around $60 to race retro don't forget I race every Friday night as well more money this is wing car money territory for me
8. James track James Rules James has final say we just think we do
9. People aren't racing because they don't like the retro class its for others reasons every class has bad numbers

Not bad for someone that hates keyboard rants I will continue to read on with interest
Casey
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Hi all, interesting discussion, and it is impossible to satisfy everyone, so there will need to be a fair bit of understanding from everyone if we are going to remain as a group building and racing these very cool slot cars.

While I've been out of action for a while, I live in hope of getting back into racing again, and these are my thoughts;
HSC Big track
Prefer not. But might consider another class if there were enough starters.

Brake Year's racing into number of series
Maybe. Suggest 2. One each for Open and Closed cars. 2 for F1 to match timing.

One round at SSME
No. If SSME has an event/series, work racing calendar together with HSC.

Racing on Sunday
Not on a regular basis for me. Family, and Car Club outings.

$15/entry
Only if deemed necessary by James, but not to provide for trophy dust collectors. Race printouts are all I need.

New classes
Maybe. If there are enough starters. Stockers priority for me.
If we did take on a new class, the rules for building the chassis and body should match up with IRRA.
Our local changes for motor selection, and exclusions of ball bearings (keep cost down) can continue.

The SRC
Agree, leave as is.

Big Races
No comment, as I've not participated enough to have a say.

Enduros
2 per year is enough for me, seeing as they would likely be on weekends, and my weekends are full now.

I don't have anything else to add, as these seem cover the major issues.

Whether we agree with James or not, James is the owner of HSC, and he does have the final say about what happens there, so I feel that he should be part of this discussion group. We all want this to work, I hope!!!
Steve King
brady

Post by brady »

On the subject of tropies for Enduros I would like to see us make a $1 donation every club night to purchase some tires or bodies for the placegetters.Its more practicle and would give something back to the shop at least.Just an idea.Please,no death threats.Brad.
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Brad, I like the concept, but one hassle I see, could be those who go in the enduros, don't always race in the club race nights, so wouldn't necessarily contribute to any prize they might win.
If everyone was ok with that, then it would work.
Last edited by SlotBaker on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve King
brady

Post by brady »

See what you mean Steve.I guess you would have to look at it as a sponsorship type deal from us old farts for the good of all.We cant donate time for example for track maint.etc as happens at RC clubs.You have to look at it in this fashion I think.Thanks Brad.