HSC 2018 Retro Series Rnd 9 - Short Track (STR) 07/10/2018

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
stoo23

HSC 2018 Retro Series Rnd 9 - Short Track (STR) 07/10/2018

Post by stoo23 »

Hi guys,

Well I guess we had a pretty good turn out of 'Quality' Drivers for this event, even though there were some 'usual Suspects' who were 'Missing in Action',.. lol

Was great to see both Brad and Darryl (recently back from his usual US sojourn) and both Jason and Ben, appearing to continue being 'Keen' to race Retro's with us :)

The Brambles turned up 'In Force' !!,.. :) :D as perhaps can be seen from the Pic' of their rather 'Extensive' Pit BOX and Compliment and Quantity of Cars !!,.. :)
The Brambles Pits
The Brambles Pits
SAM_3639.jpg (331.45 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
I had spent the week building up a recently purchased Warmack 'Kit' and contemplating/re-building a couple of recent and older 'builds' and was in some ways quite Happy in managing to get my more recent and previously annoyingly unpredictable handling 'Fox Clone' style car to Finally start working/handling in a manner I had always Hoped it would. (So with a few extra Mods and additions of Weight/lead) may be even Better Next time out :)

Considering How Long I have been doing this Scratch-building 'Lark' I was rather amazed that I somehow managed to get the overall Chassis width on the Warmack Wrong !!,.. it being 33 thou Oversize DOH !!,.. lol, (so am going to have to Re-Do all my Nice work to correct my Very Silly 'Mistake',..lol).
My New Warmack 'build'
My New Warmack 'build'
SAM_3638.jpg (193.71 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
Seems I was also Not Alone in building a new car, as Neil fronted up with both a New CanAm AND F1 chassis (as can be seen in the attached pics below) and I must admit, was also kind of hoping to See Ben's recently acquired 'Jersey John' chassis running, but would seem he has Yet to actually get them together.

Anyway, onto the racing.

Coupe's

Heat 1.
Here we had Wayne, Cody, Jason and Ben and as can be seen from the results below, was a pretty damn good race.

Jason was certainly giving Cody a very good run for his Money (at least for the first three brackets) and managed to keep him pretty Honest for the Whole race really, with there only being 2 laps in it until the 7th bracket when Cody gained another lap advantage.
Wayne was also seriously 'in the Mix' until about the 5th bracket, where Jason's previous 22's on both Purple and Black, compared to Wayne's 21's caused the eventual 2 lap difference.
Ben was I guess just slightly off the 'Hot' pace being set by those ahead of him but managed to turn in some pretty reasonable lap totals, running another 'Loaner' from Darryl and am sure once he has some More Laps under his belt and also perhaps the familiarity of a 'Regular Ride', will also be another Very serious competitor !!

Both Cody and Wayne managed to turn some Very quick times during the race, with Cody even doing a 4.987 sec' lap on White, with his Only lap in the 5.2's being on Black !!

His car was a Further Modified Version of the Warmack car he had run in the recent Nat's and as suggested by himself, is on a 'Mission' to Prove he can get a Light Car to Work on the Short track, which he certainly seems to be doing so far (although one could perhaps argue that it is still just a wee bit Too Light !!),..especially as I think (at least initially in Practice, was about 96 grams), so when it is 'adjusted' to his Liking and also,.. 'Ahem',... Legal :),.. will probably continue to be the 'Weapon' it has so far Proven to be !!,.. :)

Heat 2.
Here we had Darryl, Neil, Brad and Myself and was (at least at the start), also another quite good race, although perhaps Not as good or as fast as the previous heat but similarly to Cody's performance was (apart from a one bracket 'blip' when Brad took the lead), was an All the way win by Darryl.

Neils' New car seemed to be performing quite well, although probably not all that happy about His Purple bracket :)

Once again, Brad's car was Very Much 'On the Pace (as can be seen by his totals and times in the first few brackets, but ran into some trouble late in the third bracket, when an accident Broke the chassis :( causing him to withdraw. Although he did turn a few More laps on Black and later also on Orange trying my "Old Faithful", ahead of it's Possible use in the upcoming SSME 4 Hour Enduro).

In all Honesty it must be said that My 2nd place in this heat was Only due to Brad's withdrawal, as whilst the Mod's to my recent chassis were a definite Improvement, it is Still Not Yet completely 'Perfect' and Sadly, Neither was My driving on the Night,.. quite a few Too May De-Slots for my liking and a slight Lack of Focus I fear,..sigh,.. lol

F1's

Heat 1
Hmmm Well What can I say Other than this was Another absolute 'Creaming' by Young Cody and that Damn Fine Chassis of Tommy Flythe's !!,.. lol
For Most of the race it looked like he Was definitely going to do Another 190, with at One stage the Estimated Total being shown as 190.5 !! It was Only a few 'Un-Forced' errors in the later stages of the race that dropped his overall Total to a 'Meagre' !!??,..lol 186 !!,.. LOL

It also has to be suggested that Cody was (at least initially), being relatively closely 'Shadowed' by Wayne, until the end of the 4th bracket when Cody gained a few extra laps and this was with (apparently) the Less effective 'New' F1 chassis !!,.. The Quicker/better one being put Back in the Box for the Upcoming State Titles !!
I didn't actually See it running, but guess it will possibly also be a bit of a Weapon !!,.. lol
That being said, Wayne's eventual total ,of 178 laps is pretty impressive anyway, were it Not for Cody !!!

Jason once again had a Very Solid run turning good laps and ending with a still very impressive and competitive total of 172, whilst Ben was perhaps Not having such a great Night, with a Loaner from Joe, having a bit of a hard time on both Black and red, which dropped his overall totals a bit. Perhaps he may have had More fun had he run the Previous Loaner of Mine, as he at least had some previous experience with it and had actually run quite well with it in the Nat's race ??

Heat 2
Well whilst Not on the Same 'Pace' as Heat 1, this was for the Most part a very close and competitive race between Darryl, Brad and myself, (although I don't think my driving did My cars Normal performance the Justice it deserved !!,.. lol) and Unfortunately Neil Experienced major Gear Problems Early on the 4th bracket and chose to withdraw.

With the exception of Neil, all of us took a couple of brackets turn in the lead and swapped places a couple of times during the race, with there Only being a Single Lap between us until the 5th and 6th brackets, when I lost a Lap to Brad and Darryl got a couple Up on Brad.

At the end of the 7th bracket, we had Darryl on 150 laps, Brad on 149 and myself on 148 !!, so it was still a pretty close thing, but Darryl Creamed us in the Last bracket turning a 24, and myself possibly causing Brad a slight problem with a rather strange Off when on red in the last bracket that had Brad running into the back of my de-slotted car,.. Sorry about that Brad, although the outcome would probably Not have changed, it might have been a bit closer at the end.

For myself, even though 169 isn't a terrible lap total, it is perhaps a reflection of my own less than stellar driving on the night, when compared to the 179 I had done with Fox in the previous round with the Very same car !!,.. sigh,.. lol

Anyway,.. all in all another typically enjoyable night's racing at HSC and once again thanks as usual must go to James and to Joe, Greg and Steph for their Help and marshalling on the Night :)

Sorry about the Poor quality of the Race Sheets.
Results SRC rnd 9 copy.jpg
Results SRC rnd 9 copy.jpg (118.63 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
Results SRC rnd 9 001 copy.jpg
Results SRC rnd 9 001 copy.jpg (113.24 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
Results SRC rnd 9 002 copy.jpg
Results SRC rnd 9 002 copy.jpg (110.93 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
Results SRC rnd 9 003 copy.jpg
Results SRC rnd 9 003 copy.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
Overall Placings

Coupe
1st  Cody
2nd  Jason
3rd  Darryl
4th  Wayne
5th  Stoo
6th  Ben
7th  Neil
8th  Brad
F1
1st  Cody
2nd  Wayne
3rd  Darryl
4th  Jason
5th  Brad
6th  Stoo
7th  Ben
8th  Neil
Didn't manage to get an awful lot of pics (and Not All of the various Winners), but here is a few pics of cars & people from the nights racing along with some pics of some New cars from Neil and Wayne etc.
Attachments
Heat 1 drivers.<br />Ben, Jason, Cody &amp; Wayne
Heat 1 drivers.
Ben, Jason, Cody & Wayne
SAM_3649.jpg (125.63 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Coupe Grid Heat 1 L to R;<br />Wayne B, Cody, Jason &amp; Ben
Coupe Grid Heat 1 L to R;
Wayne B, Cody, Jason & Ben
SAM_3648.jpg (275.61 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Heat 2 drivers.<br />Darryl, Stoo, Neil &amp; Brad
Heat 2 drivers.
Darryl, Stoo, Neil & Brad
SAM_3651.jpg (179.88 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Coupe Grid Heat 2 L to R;<br />Brad, Neil, Stoo &amp; Darryl
Coupe Grid Heat 2 L to R;
Brad, Neil, Stoo & Darryl
SAM_3650.jpg (233.18 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
F1 Grid. Heat 1 L to R;<br />Wayne B, Cody, Jason &amp; Ben
F1 Grid. Heat 1 L to R;
Wayne B, Cody, Jason & Ben
SAM_3653.jpg (252.42 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
F1 Grid. Heat 2 L to R;<br />Brad, Neil, Stoo &amp; Darryl
F1 Grid. Heat 2 L to R;
Brad, Neil, Stoo & Darryl
SAM_3658.jpg (209.42 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Cody's Winning Coupe
Cody's Winning Coupe
SAM_3657.jpg (211.93 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Cody's (Modified) Coupe/CanAm chassis (originally a Warmack 'Kit'), built by himself
Cody's (Modified) Coupe/CanAm chassis (originally a Warmack 'Kit'), built by himself
SAM_3656.jpg (171.89 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Cody's F1 Car
Cody's F1 Car
SAM_3659.jpg (195.09 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Cody's rather Effective Winning F1 chassis by Tommy Flythe
Cody's rather Effective Winning F1 chassis by Tommy Flythe
SAM_3660.jpg (183.74 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Wayne B's Coupe
Wayne B's Coupe
SAM_3654.jpg (305.51 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
One of Wayne B's New CanAm chassis (He ran this on the Night)
One of Wayne B's New CanAm chassis (He ran this on the Night)
SAM_3655.jpg (152.42 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Neil's New CanAm/Coupe chassis
Neil's New CanAm/Coupe chassis
SAM_3641.jpg (166.75 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Neil's New F1 chassis
Neil's New F1 chassis
SAM_3643.jpg (201.53 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
neiljb

Re: HSC 2018 Retro Series Rnd 9 - Short Track (STR) 07/10/2018

Post by neiljb »

Thanks Stoooo
Mark Fox

Re: HSC 2018 Retro Series Rnd 9 - Short Track (STR) 07/10/2018

Post by Mark Fox »

Thanks Stoo

Great report - looks like Cody is the one to beat if at all possible the way he is going.

Can't wait to get back and have a race again.

Cheers
Regards - Mark 8-)

"Do Less with More Focus"