Mark Fox

Vale Hutcho

Post by Mark Fox »

Vale
1-IMG_5312.jpg
1-IMG_5312.jpg (27.7 KiB) Viewed 6344 times
2-IMG_5314.jpg
2-IMG_5314.jpg (215.86 KiB) Viewed 6344 times
I am very sad to announce that my good friend of 55 years Stephen Hutchesson - 'Hutcho' - has passed away after a battle with cancer.

Hutcho was a legend of 60's and 70's Slot Racing in Australia and a true innovator of both chassis and in particular motor building.

He will be missed by many but will live on in the memories of all who knew this remarkable man.

BTW the above caricature was drawn by Baz at the 1974 Matich Trophy race held at G&D Raceway in Sydney
Regards - Mark 8-)

"Do Less with More Focus"
stoo23

Re: Vale Hutcho

Post by stoo23 »

Oh Dear,... Such Very Sad news :(
A truly 'Remarkable' individual, with amazing Intuitive knowledge and skills in So many areas,.. to the point of almost being a 'PolyMath'.

Thank you for your comradeship with him towards the end Mark !!

His Passing will be a Very Sad Loss to Many of us, especially those that got to spend time with him over the years.

I can remember Many Endless cups of Coffee in the Kitchen at Surrey Hills, Journeys to Races in the Studebaker and racing against him and many others in the Old Association Team Enduros.

I Still have my First 'C' Can sized Armature I wound Way back in my Teens that Hutcho' did the Com' on and Hand Balanced for me :)

Thank you for Posting this (Unfortunately Sad Information) and Great Charicature of one of Life's Truly Unique Individuals that one can Only describe as having been Fortunate to have met and spent time with !!

I shall Miss Him.
Pic Courtesy of Maneiro from the MASM Forum
Pic Courtesy of Maneiro from the MASM Forum
hutch_MASM_1.jpg (20.54 KiB) Viewed 6023 times
axman

Post by axman »

Sorry for the loss of your great mate Fox. I never got to know him on the same personnel level you did but you were always telling me of his multi-talents in all manner of projects. Too bad cancer got him.. I was sure some of his other exploits would have got him first. I was lucky to be in an era to learn and race against Hutcho. My first encounter was an 8 hour at Earlwood.. I just kept blowing motors and he kept digging out another so my team could keep racing. My favourite story of him was up at Cessnock where he literally "camped" on the floor of my single bed hotel room. I went to sleep and he was winding an armature. I woke up in the morning and he was sitting there asleep, back against the wall still with armature and wire in hand.. I woke him.. he looked up.. he then said 18.. 19..20 as he finished winding that stack! He then ran away with the race until he spun a pinion.. He dropped back to 4th behind Jeff Cowell who now had a podium in sight.. Hutcho passed him for the prize and all hell broke out with Daffney Cowell accusing Hutcho of working on his car in the lane change. I was sort of pitting for him and told Daff that was not case so she then walloped me in the face and added me to the list of banned drivers at G&D! Hutcho always the innovator and always at the front of the pack in the early days of slotcar racing when every component was hand made. A great loss. R.I.P. mate.
Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox »

Celebrate the Life of Stephen Leslie Hutchesson.jpg
Celebrate the Life of Stephen Leslie Hutchesson.jpg (74.74 KiB) Viewed 5998 times
Regards - Mark 8-)

Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox »

Hutch's Coupe.

Had many a trip with Hutch in his Studebaker (Ford V8 powered and succession of FordV8 Utes but the love of his life and last car he owned in which he, myself and mate Greg went up to Hervey Bay Qld one year. That thing really hauled arse ;) ;) ;)
car1.jpg
car1.jpg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
car2.jpg
car2.jpg (77.31 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
car3.jpg
car3.jpg (75.96 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
Coupe Trip.jpg
Coupe Trip.jpg (88.4 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
Regards - Mark 8-)

stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Kim Axton found and sent this photo of Hutcho' and the "Team Testor" gang after Winning and apparently setting a World Record (whatever that suggests lol) for their Win at the Sylvania 24 Hour Teams Enduro event,.. Wayy back,.. (I know not when, but a Long time ago,.. late 60's ??),.. everyone looking So young :!: ;) :) :D

IMG_20230814_102142_191_c.jpg
IMG_20230814_102142_191_c.jpg (190.95 KiB) Viewed 5336 times
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Found another Pic of Hutch when Racing with us a couple of years ago.

081115-01.jpg
081115-01.jpg (63.14 KiB) Viewed 4655 times