What Year Did Hornsby Slot Car Raceway Open

Somewhere to discuss Other Classes, Races & All Round General 'Stuff' NOT covered by the other Categories.
petrolhead

What Year Did Hornsby Slot Car Raceway Open

Post by petrolhead »

Hi Guys

Just after what year Hornsby opened as the website only states

"has existed in these premises since the mid to late sixties."

As I would like a exact year for a little project I have in mind

Thanks in advance

Wayne W
stoo23

Re: What Year Did Hornsby Slot Car Raceway Open

Post by stoo23 »

Hi Wayne,

Unfortunately, I can't tell you Exactly,.... Yet,... BUT, whilst having no real idea of the Month, I can confirm that both the centre itself,.. then known as "Waitara Raceway", was open, with at least the original 10 lane Flat track, (Perhaps slightly earlier), but Definitely by mid to late 1963, as also 'reported' by Neil Bolton's recollections of it being open in 1964, when he and his family moved to the area when he was younger.

I was born in 1955 and started 'Playing' there with a good school friend when in Primary (when about 9 or 10) and by that stage the place had been running for a while AND the Banked track had been built,..sometime during 1964 or early 1965.

It MUST have been that early, as I eventually, after merely 'Playing' for a few years, I ended up taking Slotting more seriously and was Racing in the regular Club Events some time in 1967, or early '68, for Sure.

I say this, as I had been racing (at club level) for a while before entering my First NSWMRRA 'Association' race, which was held in May of 1970.

As can be seen in the Pic below, the 'Shop', is filled with the 'typical' early Slot Car 'Hard Body' style Kits so prevalent back then and there seems to be No evidence of the Later more 'Pro Style' stuff visible.

Whilst the Older guy wearing the Overcoat seems to ring a vaguely familiar bell from my memory, I can't say for sure and have no idea who the people are (at the counter), apart from Kevin Thurston and his Wife / Partner Marge serving at what was the Original Counter position, which is now the Kitchen / Pit area. :)

Hope that helps :)
Old Waitara Counter.jpg
Old Waitara Counter.jpg (379.04 KiB) Viewed 2466 times