HSC 2019 Retro Series Rnd 3 - STR 06/04/2019

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
stoo23

HSC 2019 Retro Series Rnd 3 - STR 06/04/2019

Post by stoo23 »

With many of the Usual Retro Racers Either Away or Racing interstate, it was Only a rather Small 'Selection' of the Usual Suspects that turned up to race tonight, although it Was Great to see the Venerable Steve King attend to have a run with us, thereby making a total of 4 Starters for Both classes.

I had been very busy doing some prep' work for an upcoming event at Work and had done Zero work on any of my cars but figured I could use the 'diversion' but was unsure whether there would be a race, so it was great that after calling James earlier, he rang back to inform me we had a few practicing and waiting for me to arrive :)

I quickly purchased some New tyres, fitted them and did a couple of laps to make sure all was working and lined up for the start.

CanAm
CanAm cars on the Grid
CanAm cars on the Grid
April STR CanAm_sml copy.jpg (365.33 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
I guess if I had actually spent Any time working on My Cars, I would have swapped / changed the Motor in "Old Faithful", which May have allowed me to have been more competitive than with My newer car, which whilst finally getting it to work far better than it had initially, still Isn't as good as I had hoped it would be and although similar in design, is literally a World Away from the car of Mark Fox's that it was based upon,.. but still My driving in this Heat also let me down,.. ;) :lol:

It was Darryl, All the Way, with initially myself slightly ahead of Steve King after the first bracket, but Steve quickly Moved past me to hold 2nd and give closer chase to Darryl for the rest of the race.

It was a very friendly, pleasant and at times humorous evening, with all of us enjoying ourselves, but generally Holding 'Station' almost from the Get Go, with Darryl Slowly and eventually Putting quite a few laps distance between us all by the end and driving very well to end with a quite respectable lap Total !!

Considering how long it has been since Steve K has actually raced at HSC, he also showed he had lost None of his previous Speed, finishing 4 laps behind Darryl, but also with a quite respectable Lap Total :)

I guess my Lap total was also kind of OK, as was Neil's, but we were Both Soundly beaten by the other Two tonight !!
A fun race and good to get one's Eye back In after a fashion for the following F1 race.
CanAm Race sheet
CanAm Race sheet
HSC Retro CanAm April STR_sml.jpg (202.67 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
F1
F1 Cars on the Grid
F1 Cars on the Grid
April STR F1_sml copy.jpg (362.71 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
It had been quite some time since even running My F1 and actually took me a while to Swap the New Tyres (that were Now Nice and Round) over on to the F1, as I needed to find some appropriate Spacers to get the right Width and to stop them rubbing on the rear of the Side Pans :)
So once again, we chose the Same Starting lanes for F1 as we had in CanAm.

As has occasionally been the case with this motor, (It Has been in the car for a Very LONG time,.. lol), it was Slow to 'Get Going' properly, but when it did, was once again Well on the Pace and I managed to finish the first bracket in the Lead Very closely followed by Darryl AND Steve K.

Darryl and I started to Pull away from both Steve and Neil over the next few brackets, with Darryl Never more than 1 or 2 laps behind !!
By the end of the 4th bracket, Darryl was On the same lap as myself and Very close On the track and at some stage in the 5th bracket, he managed to end up 'On the Floor',.. Which Seemed to Do Something 'Magical' to his car, as it was Instantly Noticeable Quicker and in fact can be seen to be by his Faster Lap times in the Last 4 x brackets !!!

My slender lead, quickly evaporated and Darryl quickly passed me and began Steadily Pulling Ahead and away.
I Drove like a Demon and managed to Keep him within 2 laps, but try as I might, he was Driving (Typically) Well and seemed destined to hang on to the lead,..which he Did !! :)

Steve just didn't seem to have the Pace of our cars on the Night and Neil seemed to be struggling a bit with what appeared to be somewhat Unpredictable 'Handling' (or Lack of it lol), with his F1 and had a race he would probably prefer to forget !!
BUT,.. We All had a Lot of Laughs and thoroughly enjoyed the evening's racing,.. Just How it Should be !!,.. :)
F1 Race sheet
F1 Race sheet
HSC Retro F1 April STR_sml.jpg (201.66 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
Once again,.. another typically enjoyable night's racing at HSC :)
Thanks to James for the Track Prep', and to James, Joe and Darryl's Wife for their excellent Marshalling !!
Mark Fox

Re: HSC 2019 Retro Series Rnd 3 - STR 06/04/2019

Post by Mark Fox »

Thanks for the great report Stoo. I was sad to not be able to race on my favourite track.
Regards - Mark 8-)

"Do Less with More Focus"
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Good report as usual Stoo, and thanks for the kind words.

It was an enjoyable night with good guys playing with our toy cars.

I caught myself out with the F1 by not checking the rear tyres, and needing to throw a new pair on.
Should have been ok, but I didn't notice untill after about the 3rd bracket that the tyres were a bit offset to the body, and were rubbing slightly.
I doubt very much that it affected the out come, Stoo and Darryl were streets ahead, but my poor F1 was a bit sluggish out of the turns. It had good enough speed once it got the revs up, but..... :cry:

Thanks to Joe, Jane, and James for marshalling, and the good natured fun night.
:)
Steve King
dtslot

Post by dtslot »

Thanks for a top report Stoo,,,and thanks to all who could make it,,,,,,,,,really enjoyable fast racing,,,and lots of fun
and again thanks to James, Joe and Jane for excellent marshaling
Darryl