How to Resurrect Aussie Retro at HSC?

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
SlotBaker

How to Resurrect Aussie Retro at HSC?

Post by SlotBaker »

With the Retro Nat's looming in August, how can we raise the interest level?
:?
Steve King
dtslot

Re: How to Resurrect Aussie Retro at HSC?

Post by dtslot »

Hi all,,,,It is a fact that there is a decline in numbers at Hornsby racing of late,,,,but that is not the case down at the BULLRING at SHELL HARBOR,,,,,,Their attendances are amazing,,,and on a weekly basis,,,,,so what the contributing factors.,,,,,,,,,,,,,Everybody likes to win,,goes without saying,,,,,,,maybe people just give up when they think that winning is not and never going to happen,,,,,so just look for another ,,maybe easier way to get that winning feeling...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,With RETRO,,,i have put a lot of time and effort into making my cars ,,,,,easy and fast to drive and I have driven a lot of other peoples cars which are really not very good to drive at all ,,,,,,,,,I have different chassis for the small and big track ,,,,,how many people can be bothered or even afford that extra cost,,,,,,,,that alone pushed some racers out of retro when the two track system came into effect,,, the extra cars and setups that I have do come at a cost and time !!!!..I am lucky that I can afford it .......I am not the best driver on either track but my cars do give me an advantage over a lot of racers.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good for me !!!!
Back to the BULLRING,,,,,,,,The cars that they race are more even in performance,,,,,,thus ,,the fast guys are always up there but the average driver is getting on the podium a lot of the time and doing really well,,,,,,so the win seems to be within the grasp of all.

I am not suggesting for our big races that any changes should occur,,,,but for our club racing,where we need numbers and consistency ,,where we need to build confidence in new comers and old racers alike ,I think we need to level the field a bit,,,,giving newby's a chance at least,,,,,,,,,not much fun racing someone who is being smashed,,,,,not for them or the smashers !!!!
. So some suggestions
# 1. We could have a handicap point system,,,,,used to do this at ssme years ago,,,,trouble is,, you need someone to work out the points ,,,gets a bit complicated,,,,but everybody has a winning chance
# 2 . We could do the race horse thing,,,where the last winners on the podium end up carrying extra weight, according to there win,, and how do we enforce this and , this gets very complicated
# 3. We could race with a fairly high breakout time,,,,they do this with some of the racing at the Bullring,,,,and no one seems to complain,,,,,very challenging to control one self,,,,but could be a lot of fun,,,or not,,,,,,,,,maybe an allowance of 3 or 4 breakouts per race ...... Darryl
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Hi Daryl,
Thanks for your thoughts. Not sure about handicaps and I think that I could be going as fast as I can and still not breakout!
Overall, I will go along with majority, as I would rather race than not.
I am probably more interested in knowing why people have stopped coming to racing, as we could make changes and still have poor attendances. I think Stoo mentioned that only small number of racers participate in these discussions. Maybe we can get James' permission to post onto the HSC Facebook page and ask the question to perhaps a wider audience ? ………….. and if changes are needed we need to get James on board. As I have said before, its his Raceway.
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

neiljb wrote: I am probably more interested in knowing why people have stopped coming to racing
I don't have any slot car related reasons for not attending.
My personal situation (as mentioned elsewhere) is preventing me.
neiljb wrote: ..., as we could make changes and still have poor attendances.
That's true.
Steve King
dtslot

Post by dtslot »

Hi guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really I don't think there are any things that could be changed to improve attendances,,,it is what it is,,,,just turning up when we can and enjoy what we can is about all we can hope for,,,,,,and I for one am enjoying it and hope it will continue for some time yet,,,even if there are not many of us that can be there as frequently as we would like. It is getting harder as we get older with more physical ailments, with ourselves and for others we look after,,younger and older,,,,,,the travel around Sydney is just crap and going to get worse and more expensive,,,,,,,,,hang on , i have just had a retro vision !!!!!!!!
Another thought,,,,,you know how if,, anything that the SRC racing does seem to pull better numbers mid week,,,,and there is always good can am retro numbers,,,,,,,,,,now I like Saturday night as retro night ,,,but we are struggling number wise,,,and I do know that James is not all that fussed about hanging back on Saturday nights,,,,he loves an early night !!!,,,,,,just a thought,,,,could we just add some F1 RETRO into the mix,,,,,,,and make the SRC event, a combined GT1,,CAN-AM,F1 RACE MEET... While people have made the effort and commitment to be at the SRC,,,,and they do!!!,,,,,to just stretch the night a bit with the F1'S ,,,,for those who would like to,, and bundle the racing all into that night ..For those that dont want to race F1, thats OK,,they could leave as per usual with the SRC format,,,,,for those who are already there and would like a bit more racing,,,great,,,,I know Wayne Walker has been after a F1,,,,,,,I actually have one for him,,, and us builders could come up with some more cars I am sure...Cant speak for Greg T,,,BUT you know SATURDAY nights are speedway nights for him,,,so there alone ,,there's one more ...sooooo,,,instead of the twice a month effort,,,reduce the costs,,travel wise, free up weekends for family and other social commitment,,,might be a bit later for some workers,,but if we get really time organised,,,it would work,,,for those running late from work to be there,,they could always be in the last races..I think this could work,,,,thoughts anybody ,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think also by incorporating the different tracks and their locations,,,,,the interest level may also increase for possible newby's as a lot of people bawk at the daunting drive across Sydney to get to Hornsby... we may even entice some Wollongong drivers up.. I undrestand that for suys like STOO and STEVO,,BRAMBLES etc,, who live on the C Coust, it is more of a burden,,,,but only once every second month,,,still a burden,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,would need imput and approval from James , as the SRC is his creation,,,,,but this might help solve the fading numbers dilemma,,,,especially for stand alone RETRO racing.
comments anybody Darryl
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

:) Interesting Thoughts Darryl :)

Although F1's around SSME could be a Nightmare !!,.. lol Narrow lane centres etc could create absolute Carnage !!! Ha Ha Ha,..

Plus it Would make for a rather late night as you suggest,.. depending on Numbers.

Would also occasionally be a problem for myself, as has So often been the case in the past, I often work on Tuesday evenings and even thought Not Every Week,.. it has proven to be Uncanny how it has So often been THE Very Tuesday's of the SRC !!!,.. :( :(

Definitely Worthy of consideration though :)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

" the travel around Sydney is just crap and going to get worse " This in a nutshell is why I do not make the trek to Hornsby as often as I would like to . By the time I finish work I am usually flat out making it to SSME and it is only 15 kilometres from home and has NO traffic snarls .

Just a thought but if we do start getting newbies make the team races have one experienced driver plus a newbie so they can , A get guidance , B drive a competitive car and , C have a REAL chance at winning . Maybe we could draw straws at each race to determine pairings so we mix it up too so they get experience with different A grade drivers .

My two bobs worth .

Cheers Kenny
The worst day of Slot Car racing still beats the best day at work .
dtslot

Post by dtslot »

Hi Kenny,,,,,you are right about the crap traffic around Sydney,,,,and getting worse all the time,,,,no answer to that,,,,,,,,,,but I do like your thoughts about the enduro's,,,,and pulling names from a hat ,,,lucky dip. It would encourage possible newbys who don'y really have a hope in hell of winning ,to at least having a chance,,,it would be confidence and moral building, and most importantly ,be a lot of fun... I would also suggest, that you have two hats,,,,with the faster guys names in one,,and the slower guys in the other,,,,to ensure a better fast / slower selection. Winning is not everything,,but having fun is,,,,,,,good suggestion Kenny
Darryl
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Hi Guys

The only way we can resurrect Aussie retro is to turn up and race and support the track owner

So lets see if we can get 17 plus entries how good would it be :) :)

Might make for a longer night if we raced by the HSC rules

· 10 to 16 entries: Two semis and final Top 4 in each semi move up.

· 17 to 20 entries: one heat, two semis and final. Fastest 12 qualifiers into semis – top

4 in heat move up.

· 21 to 24 entries: Two heats two semis and final. Fastest 8 qualifiers into semis – top

4 in each heat move up.

And this would help the newbies to get more track time in race conditions ;) ;)

See you there guys
Koford1

Post by Koford1 »

Get 17 to turn up and I'll make it 18. :D
Regards

Chucky
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Quite Simply,.. being able to get MORE than Merely 3 or 4 people to turn up to Race would be a START !!!!