Suitable Spray Can paint

Somewhere to discuss Other Classes, Races & All Round General 'Stuff' NOT covered by the other Categories.
Greg Erskine

Suitable Spray Can paint

Post by Greg Erskine »

Hi guys,

In the old days I used Dupli Color touch up paint for spraying my bodies, what's the go today?

regards
Greg
stoo23

Re: Suitable Spray Can paint

Post by stoo23 »

Hey Greg,...

These days, I just use Tamiya, (especially since simply deciding to use the Same Colour Combo,.. :lol: ).

SpazStikz is perhaps another possibility if you can find the Spray Cans, they have some Interesting colours and stuff like 'Chrome' etc.

There is also Redback Racing polycarbonate paint, usually available in Larger sized cans and is resistant to Fuel & Oils etc.

I haven't used either of the last two, but seem to be Popular in the RC World.
There doesn't seem to be the Variety of Brands that there used to be currently available in Aus' lately,... like Pactra, Testor etc

Unsure of the 'viability' of Non Polycarbonate paints these days,.. other may be able to Help in that regard.

I DO know the 'Options' are possibly Greater if 'Air-brushing', as a lot of guys seem to have good results using many of the Hobby/Craft style paints, let alone all the other 'variants' like SpazStikx, Parma etc.
:D
Greg Erskine

Post by Greg Erskine »

Thanks Stoo,

Does James sell Tamiya?

I should have looked the last time I was up there.

Is the name "SpazStikz" politically correct now days?

regards
Greg
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

:lol: :lol: ,.. seems a bit 'Suss' eh!!??,.. :D

Yeah, James usually has quite a good selection of the Tamiya Lexan paints.
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Yes Greg.
James has a good selection of rattle cans and his price is very good.
If you are airbrushing the Parma product is good and stays on the body nicely. If you don't have an air brush yet, buy something capable of around 70 Psi.
Rattle can or airbrush?
I do both. If I am only doing one body I usually use a can as the worst part of airbrushing is the clean up. But airbrushing gives a better finish.
I do need to ask. What are you painting?
Greg Erskine

Post by Greg Erskine »

Thanks for the info guys, I'll see James tomorrow.

I am a one colour guy, so one can should be all I need.

Still trying to get my head around having 3 numbers on the body, never done that before!

Neil, not sure which body to do first.
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Greg,
James sells numbers and number masks. If you use number masks, I am sorry to break it to you but you will have to spring for two cans of paint. I can feel your wallet groaning now !!
Greg Erskine

Post by Greg Erskine »

Thanks Neil,

Maybe if John buys a can as well we can swap.

I was thinking of hand cutting some numbers using contact?

regards
Greg
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Or black felt pen.
:shock:
Steve King
Greg Erskine

Post by Greg Erskine »

I think I read somewhere that hand draw numbers are illegal. :o
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Correct for GT1, which I was unaware.
"Bodies must display at least three identical racing numbers. Hand written numbers are not acceptable"
Not sure that should apply to hand painted bodies by Noose, or Jairus?!?
:?

No problem for Retro;
Can-Am
"racing numbers, one on each side, and one on the front and not less than ½” (12.7mm) in height."

F1
"Bodies must be presentably painted and carry at least three racing numbers, one on each side, and one on the front."
Steve King
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

I must admit, I think THAT 'Particular' Retro Rule should be Modified.

Depending on HOW one Paints, Dresses & Mounts the Body, (Tape etc) there is quite Often, 'Limited' Space to Easily (and Visibly) Place and Effectively See Suitable numbers.
I think it is 'Fair to Say', that (in Reality), WE have probably All had, Painted and raced against Bodies where ALL of the Numbers Were 'Placed' in Appropriate positions On the TOP Surface of the Body ,(as also seemingly Acceptable in REAL Racing) for YEARS without (as far as I am Aware) it EVER being a "Problem" !!,.. lol

It's Only a Small Point, but the Rules Should (I think) Really 'Reflect' actual "Accepted Practice" as such,.. Especially when in reality it Doesn't Matter a Nats' Whatever :lol: :lol: and is in NO Way an 'Advantage' etc,...

Just Seems 'Silly',.. :D

Is also somewhat Odd, as that 'Line' in the Rules, has probably simply have been included (as Written) in the US Rules, Yet a lot of 'Their' Bodies come Painted by the likes of 'Noose' etc, WITH the Numbers on the TOP !!,.. :lol:

As far as Numbers themselves go, I had (for Ages), been using some 'Paint-Mask' numbers GaryJ had made and They DO look pretty good, when done that way.
I had also previously acquired a Sheet of JK Numbers like these;
https://www.jkproducts.com/en/numbers/5486-s19.html

But had never used them until recently, when needing to Paint and finish a body Quickly !!
I have to say, the Material is Certainly suitably 'Thin' (although then Slightly Tricky to separate from the 'Backing) and when trimmed close to the Number Outline, Certainly Looks perfectly acceptable and they DO 'Stick' pretty damn Well !! :D
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Hi Greg,
Not touching a rules discussion with a 10 foot pole, but 3 numbers and a nicely detailed interior makes James happy when he is doing tech.
The JK numbers do work nicely. the old school roundels look good on the Retro class.
Most of the wing car guys seem to paint their numbers. When Cody was painting a lot, he recommended painting the numbers for weight reasons. So for your wing car that would probably be the go. Pretty sure James has some nice Parma number masks.
Stoo - guilty as charged I have put my numbers on the top surface lots of times. I will have to put two of them on the sides in future.
Neil
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

guilty as charged I have put my numbers on the top surface lots of times
And So have/do I

:D :D
Greg Erskine

Post by Greg Erskine »

Paint purchased!