Racing at Other Tracks ??

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
stoo23

Racing at Other Tracks ??

Post by stoo23 »

Hey guys,..just Wondering what the 'General Vibe' is in regard to running Retros at Any of the Other Tracks in NSW ??

We had in the Past some Very enjoyable races at Pete's Area3 track, (which is Now sadly No Longer Close to us), and Shane has built a New Track on the Same Area3 Premises, which Certainly Looks interesting,..to say the Least !!

Will have to Drop in soon and have a Run.

It's Certainly 'Different', Having some Swoopy larger radius corners and some Elevation changes!

Also Having run Oh so many years ago at SSME's Very suitable and fast track at Luddenham, when the track had only Just been installed, It would certainly make for some Great racing I am sure.
I am completely Unsure about the Club's outlook on these matters,..but the Retro Class,..'Essentially' being a Scratchbuilding Class,..Doeas Kinda Fit within the Whole Engineer aspect of the Club,..well,..More so Than Flexi's,..LOL

Plus there is that Great Looking Mini Kinglemann thingemy that Pete has Built for ...Someone,..??,..Looked Great when I Peeked thu the Window of the Shop when it was being built !,..:)

Personally,..I am Unaware of Any Other Suitable Tracks for Retro Racing, if Others Do,..Let Us Know !!!

Ofcourse we Could always Do a Raid on the Kinglemann in Melbourne, armed with a Bunch of 'Loaners' !! :mrgreen:
Coupla Kings there as well,...Hmmm,..Now That's an Idea,..Head to Melbourne and run a Quick 'Series' on All Three Tracks !!LOL
SlotBaker

Re: Racing at Other Tracks ??

Post by SlotBaker »

Stoo,
It would be good to have a fun race at Luddenham in the cooler months. It gets pretty hot in that tin shed near Penrith during summer.

If you want to sound out the guys, we could get something going around April or May.
:)
Steve King
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Yes !!!,..That Does sound like a Wise Idea !!

I do seem to recall atleast One exasperating day out there !!

I just figured there Might be Some interest.

I don't know how many of the Current racers have raced on the track,..but I seem to think I had Fun racing there,..Including the 24 hour event !!

Fox and Hutcho suggested the Helping out Idea,..and both Wayne and Lindsay have raced there, so I figure a Few 'Might' be relatively keen.

I am pretty sure it was always a 'Special Event', on the NSWMRRA Calendar,..so Maybe it Could be again?
Perhaps a Trophy in Residence to a Founding Member etc/whatever,..it's Just an Idea.

Inspired Partly by the Very 'Fragmented' Slotting we Now seem to have, compared to How it Was.

Can't Hurt bringing More 'Like Minded Souls' together.
:D
WSMCR-Plucka

Post by WSMCR-Plucka »

Plus there is that Great Looking Mini Kinglemann thingemy that Pete has Built for ...Someone,..??,..Looked Great when I Peeked thu the Window of the Shop when it was being built
That is ours and we plan to have it up by the end of the month (things have slowed so this has been put back)

Pete built it for us and its like a kingleman.

I would love to get some racing happening on the other side of town.

I think Wayne B has seen the track so he along with Pete could say if it would be a good enough Retro track.
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

I think Wayne B has seen the track so he along with Pete could say if it would be a good enough Retro track.
Oh Yes, I have seen it and I Reckon it would be a Fine Retro Track, let alone Many other Cars/Classes.

Hi,..Yes,..I just couldn't Remember Where the Track was Headed when I wrote the Post,..Doh !!
Many of the Yanks describe Racing Fast Cars on a Kinglemann as a 'Knife Fight in a Phone Booth" !!,..lol

I 'Obviously' agree with getting Extra racing 'Out and About',..Heck it Can Only be 'Healthier' for All,..
I think it's a shame there isn't zMore Inter-track racing even in 1/32,..we used to race all over Sydney.

I hope it Works out Well for you !!
Glad to hear you Are Keen :D :D

Amongst the Group currently racing,..there Would be Quite a Few 'Loaner' Cars available, so perhaps a Trial/Exhibition Race might be an Idea and some of Your interested Locals could Run a 'Loaner' and have some Fun and generate interest.

Just Ideas,...and Not Just for Retro's,.. :)

Cheers,
Stewart
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

WSMCR-Plucka wrote:That is ours and we plan to have it up by the end of the month (things have slowed so this has been put back)

Pete built it for us and its like a kingleman.

I would love to get some racing happening on the other side of town.
Sounds good Paul.

Please let us all know when it is up and running.

What finish are you going to use on the racing surface, and what polarity are you going to run to the braids??
International standard,,, mmmaybe??
:?
Steve King
WSMCR-Plucka

Post by WSMCR-Plucka »

Paving paint (smooth in other words) and yes international standard.
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Sounds great Paul.

How long before it's up and running?
Steve King
il cavalino

Post by il cavalino »

Hi Stoo,

Having a hard time getting anyone interested in Racing D3 down here, the only suitable track (that I know of) is at Mobile Raceways ( I wish we had a track at here at KW) and Peter doesn't seem interested.

BTW we do race Plafit once a month at Mobile Raceways, that's always a lot of fun.

Geoff

P.S. what has happened to al the racers up there, tweny odd entries in Dec. 08 and now down to a hand full???
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hey Geoff,

Yeah,..I was chatting to Peter via PM, as I thought I'd sound out his Opinion of it's suitability.

In some ways I think it's a bit difficult, It took Steve King and Others quite some lobbying up here at HSC (Until WayneB arrived) and I guess He, Like Fox and Myself,..AND Others, could appreciate what it had to Offer US,..(Having always been 'Builders' as such), and I think it is THAT Point that Made it an Interesting Option for Myself and Many Others who had also raced Before with Cars they Had Built from Brass and Piano wire.

Personally, I really don't see Retro/D3 cars as a 'Beginners' class at all really, as in all Honesty, You do Need Some idea and Some acquired skill to design and build a suitable car,..but That said, they Are pretty simple and almost anything works OK, But I see it as exactly what it Was meant to be,..for Those that Are interested,..ie; A class of Racing that allows you to Race cars similar to what we used to run Way back,..with cars in the 'Spirit' of Scratchbuilding of that Era.
The guys that came up with the Idea are Like a Few of Us are,..Just Slot Car Addicts from the Past, that actually Enjoyed the 'Art' of Building as Much as the Racing, perhaps More !!,..lol
They came up with a Class that let them race Very even Cars 'With their Mates',..For FUN !!

I can Understand Peters and many others' attitude, that it's NOT like when we were Kids, these days it is all about 'Instant Gratification', wanting to Just Buy a Car and Have Fun Now,..and I can appreciate That.
Personally I just think it is a shame that ALL classes of Racing seem to have ended up being virtually 'Legislated' against scratch building, by having that Dreadful Clause included;
"Any Commercially available,...." ,..THAT alone was the reason even in the Past I chose NOT to Race in Many classes.
I can completely Understand why People get into Other forms of Racing and I am NOT critical of their Enjoyment,..because Heck,..it IS ALL About Having FUN really Isn't it ???

So far,..I think we have been somewhat Lucky,..in that quite a Few Old Farts just Came back out of the Woodwork all at once,..Kinda weird Really when you think that Neither Fox or Myself had been anywhere Near a Track in over 20 years and we Both Just turn up on the same weekend, Only to Find WayneB behind the counter and Lindsay Byron as well as Others Like Mike Thorby, Tony Pye and Yourself there on the Day !!
So for Us and as you have observed, quite a few others, Retro, Offered , what we Liked about Racing when we were Younger,..cars we can build Ourselves and race.
Mind you Many Younger Racers are Really enjoying the Racing as well, Young Mikey sure seems to enjoy them and there are a Few Other similar Youngsters here really enjoying Racing them. I guess we have to see how many actually Venture into building one for themselves.

The choice of Motor has I think been a Wise choice, as it has allowed the cars to be Not too Fast nor too slow and are Both Cheap and seem to be Very reliable.
As you are aware, the Yanks Only have Heaps of King Tracks, a Few centres have Other styles of Tracks, Engleman/Kingleman's Being Popular as well as Some Flat Road Courses, but Not Many..
They Race with a Variety of Other Motors, Like the Falcon7, TSRF and D3, Plus a Particular ProSlot motor in the Retro Pro class, which allows Anglewinders etc, Plus they Race 4.5" Stockers, But Once again Old Style Nascar, which Might be Popular??, Not sure,..but

I Know guys Are racing CheetahII motors on Kings etc,..but I think they May be a Bit 'Underpowered' for some Good Fast Racing on a King,..Having NOT done it I cannot say, but I'm sure they would be Fun with a Falcon7 :)

So I guess if it Happens, it Happens, it took a while Here and in the US, but IS at the Moment, one of THE Most Popular classes of Racing in the US and seems to have created Quite a Stir,..I guess There though, you have the Inclusion of ALL those Famous Names from the Past competing again, Dudes Like Howie Ursaner, Terry Schmitt, John Cukras Torre Anderson etc, etc, Makes it 'Historically' somewhat More Impressive in The States than here,..But Those Guys were My Slot Racing heroes when I was a Kid and always wanted to be as good as they were and build chassis that good etc, it was from those guys and Guys Like Hutcho Here, that I learn't so Much about slot cars from, so I guess once again for People like myself, it IS relevant.

Perhaps it could also appeal to the More Modern Racer who is a Bit Bored and is Looking for something a bit more Satisfying,..and I think That IS also the Intrinsic aspect,..Racing a Car and doing Well or Better Yet Winning with a Car you Have built yourself is SO Much More satisfying than Anything you Had to Open your Wallet for, That Everyone else has as well,..It is YOURS,..Uniqely and That Sure IS FUN.

As to the Low attendance,..??,..Yeah,..well,..Being Valentines Day we Kinda figured it Would be a Poor Turnout, an effect of 'She who Must be Obeyed",.. :D :D :D

I reckon what we will Have to Do, is come down to Victoria, Armed with Heaps of 'Loaners' on a Race weekend and do a Demo,..
Jokingly, I suggested to Wayne an Idea of a Weekend 3 Race series On all Three Tracks, Both Kings and the Kinglemann !!

There seems to be a 'Bit' of interest from some of the guys on the MrSlotCar Forum and the Posts sure seem to get quite a Few Views.
I'll keep Posting stuff about Our racing, with Pics of Chassis etc
Have been thinking a Chassis building article ,..Step By Step perhaps might also be an idea,..who Knows.

The Mike Steube DVD Is Very Good as well I believe, ask GaryJ :D

Yeah PlaFit Racing Sure does seem to be Popular eh?
If there Was some serious racing happening Here for them,..I guess I'd consider giving them a Go,..I often Race 1/32 at SlotShop, but I Know that Fox, would Have NO interest whatsoever in racing them.

Having Lived and Raced through Both the Big Era and the Various Declines over the Years and having returned in what is surely a Rather Low point in Slotting, I just Hope the somewhat renewed interest by many of late is realised in an increase in popularity and enjoyment for all.

I would Have thought what with the Interest in Scale Racing etc, that a Road Course style Track would be a Great thing for Victoria.

Am certainly Hoping we can have a 'Run' on a Few Other tracks up here in Sydney as well,..The Flat track at HSC IS Good and Chellenging and a Satisfying Track to do well on, but a Bit of Variety sure Makes it More interesting !!

Cheers
Stoo

WSMCR-Plucka

Post by WSMCR-Plucka »

Hi Steve,

We have had a couple of nibbles on the big track (sigh) and the sooner that goes the better.

Things have slowed and we have to be clever with our spending (with help from friends in the industry).

The plan is to possibly put it up next weekend, but i have to contact Pete and see if he is free to come over and help put it up and then we will paint, color, braid and wire the track and fingers crossed.

Commercial racings needs a kick in the pants in the western Sydney area and i really do hope this can push things along (and the timing could not be better for those wishing to get some practice in without the travel for the scale nats at Dapto).

Plucka
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

For some reason, I thought you had Already Sold the other track,...hope that gets sorted for you.

Slotting could probably just generally need a kick in the pants :)

I do hope the new track is accepted well, it should provide good racing I believe.

RePete

Post by RePete »

Hey Stoo do you reckon a cheeta powered retro car would beat a cheeta powered flexi chassis aroung the HSC road course?

What about a Class that allowed any chassis? Commercailly available flexi chassis running against scratchbuilt brass anglewinders? Are you game?

I know the purists will vomit but maybe this would help track owners to open the possibility of scratchbuilt chassis
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Pete, welcome to the forum.

Even though the question is posed to Stoo, I would like to throw in a comment.

It's likely, that an angle winder flexi would out handle an in-line scratchbuilt car with same motor set-up, spec tyre size for min dia, and overall chassis width.

I think that an open chassis type class might work for a while, but I'm pretty sure that 90+% would end up using the same type of over the counter frame, as not many of build our own.
:|
Steve King
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hi Pete,..Hmmm,..you are on Thin Ice there with Me and Flexi Cars !!!,..lol

Having been racing when they were First introduced, along with that Other Abomination,..the Womp Womp,..I did Not Purchase one then and Never Have, and am pretty sure, I Never will,..so I have No Idea regarding comparitive Lap times.
Fox can consistently Produce both Qualifying and Race laps Well Under 5.00 seconds and when you look at the Race charts, all the Fast guys are doing times around the 5.00 to 5.2 second mark.
Many were doing 34's and 35's in the Main.

Notwithstanding Racetrack owners Love of Flexi's and all those people that Race them, To me they were the Harbinger of the End of Slot Racing as I Knew it !!

To be Honest, I am Unsure as to the reason a Mixed class like that would be necessary Or Wanted,..Purists or Not.
Trying to Find a form of Equivalence would be very Difficult I believe,..weight issues and differences apart, I would somehow feel that a Fox Anglewinder Might Just be a Better car to drive than Any Flexi Type chassis.

At the Moment, I would suggest there Are one or Two 'Evil Handling' Retro Cars,..BUT, There ARE some Extremely Amazingly Good ones at the Moment as well.

Fox's Old and especially His New cars are Lovely to drive, My New Chassis is I would Imagine a Much Better handling Car than a Flexi and That Original Car of Mine was even a bit of a revelation to Myself around Your Old track,..I think we were Pretty Damn Close to Hot 16D Flexi Times and Lap totals weren't We ?? And that with Inlines !!

But as I said, I am Unsure as to How running a Flexi against a Scratchbuilt Anglewinder would Inspire anyone to 'Build' a Car.

Perhaps them getting a chance to Drive a Truly 'Sweet' handling Car might do More for That than Merely Competing against them ...and if the Flexi's Prove faster? Then What?

As I and Many others Have tried to make Clearly apparent, Retro ...By It's Incorporation and definition, is about Racing Scratchbuilt Cars, with Other people so inclined,..For FUN !!

Sure there is competition, But for Myself, as well as quite a Few others, I Believe/Hope, Half the Fun, is the Building and the Racing is a Bonus,..AND So far it Really Has been Fun,..No one has even Remotely presented a Win at all costs attitude and the Racing has been Pretty damn Clean, Fast, Friendly and a Whole Load of Fun.

As well,..I am somewhat Blown away by the Myriad of Classes and Incarnations of Racing, that are Now being run, With Virtually ALL except for 27's and Opens Requiring EVERY Part to Be Over the Counter Commercially available.

Plafit style Scale Racing ??,..Can you Imagine the Squawking if you Turned up to Race with Custom made Parts and Chassis?

Hey Lets run a Class where you can Run Plafit Chassis Or Scratchbuilt,..a similar Problem,..Yes? No?

From what appears to be happening Overseas, the Fairly Large Interest in D3 really Does seem to have brought More people Back Into Raceways and to Racing.

Scratchbuilt Cars Might Not Mean a Huge Profit to a Raceway Owner,..but the cars still require a Motor, Body, etc etc, and if the Racing is Good and enjoyable, the Racer Will Return.

I AM aware of The Problem of 'Providing' Cars for Racers who want to Race the Retro's and Don't Build,...BUT Once again,..The Whole Concept was Scratchbuilding,..as someone on SlotBlog said,..Why do People want to Race in a Scratchbuilders Class,...But Don't want to actually Build a Car,..it'd be Like wanting to Race in a Flexi Class but Not want to actually Buy one.
Sure the racing is Great! so I Can understand Partly Why people wish to become involved,..so it IS a somewhat difficult scenario
I also Take Fox's Point that anything that Brings More people into racing and Keeps them there is a Good thing.

Heck Have a Look at The Tech sheets, especially for the First Race, and the Number of People Who Built cars, can almost be counted on One Hand!! Over 50% of the Entry was by People who had either Borrowed a Loaner car (and continue to) or were running a Chassis Built by Wayne Bramble !!

A difficult situation emerges I agree, when you have say Young Declan and his Dad Guy,..They Both really enjoy racing and regularly Race Scalextric, They Had a Ball with the retro's,..But How do Guy and Declan Get Cars to run regularly?
Without any Malice towards HSC or Wayne,..the Price of a Hand Built Shop sold Retro, (as Noted by John,..lol), IS a wee bit prohibitive Price Wise,..Exactly WHAT This Class was Trying to Preclude,..BY Definition !!

I think perhaps some articles/Classes on How to Build a Car and on Soldering etc Would/could be of greater Value.

May I say it was interesting to see on SlotBlog, someone had a couple of the Lee Gilbert Production Chassis that he Made and Marketed when Wayne, Fox and Myself were racing.
Two Styles, Both Piano wire and Brass Hand assembled Lee Gilbert Anglewinders, for $6.99 and $9.99 !!!!
Now THAT Truly Is/Was Amazing Value !!

I have also Noticed Josh Crutchfeld is selling a Number of His D3 chassis for $50 to $55.00 US !! 2nd hand ofcourse :D
Now That Is accessible and affordable and he Makes Nice Cars.

I guess as well, one Has to ask just What Is it that Makes the Retro Cars Appealing, is it the CanAm bodies?,..Heck I dunno
Anyway,.I must admit, apart from the slightly Poor Valentines day turnout, I have a Feeling the Grids Can and Will Only get Bigger.

Maybe we All (being those that Can Buiold), need to Make More Loaner Chassis, so as to Preclude the Necessity of New Racers to Have to Buy them and by Saving the Expense of having to Buy a Retro Chassis, Thaey can put the Money they saved into Buying a Decent Soldering Iron, a Dremel, some Files a Nibbler and a Vice !!,..lol
Then They are Set !, a Few Lessons a Few Bad Cars Later and Hopefully They are on Their way !!

ALL of us Old Farts ARE accessible and I know that Fox, Hutcho or Myself are More than Happy to Help Anyone Wanting to Venture into Scratchbuilding.

Only My Opinion though,..Youve run it up the Flag Pole,..see How it Waves,.. :D :D
Cheers,
Stoo