Retro Racing in Melbourne

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
stoo23

Retro Racing in Melbourne

Post by stoo23 »

Well it seems BantamJacks Back Ain't Broke enough ta Keep him off the Track !!,..lol

Looks like they might start running some Retro cars in one of their PlaFit/Scale races, to 'Give em a Run' and see if they Generate any interest,..See Here; http://mrslotcar.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511

Hope it goes well !!

:D
SlotBaker

Re: Retro Racing in Melbourne

Post by SlotBaker »

Well, there are at least 2 Retro cars down there.

RacerX and Jack can have a bit of fun together.
:)
Steve King
il cavalino

Post by il cavalino »

Hi guys,

Believe it or not there is another track down here in Melbourne - King Willys, we have been running retros down here for ages.

Mike and myself have raced them against the pros at Horsnby, Mike got second at the Australia Day Classic Retro Race.

Geoff
chadly

Post by chadly »

there are a few cars in Adelaide too..........! :)

Any in brissy? Maybe we should allow carbon fibre components! hehehehe
:lol:
Petrol is for cleaning parts
Alcohol is for drinking
Nitro is for racing
Slotcars are for going VERY quick!
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Perhaps Geoff, if you actually 'Posted' some information about it, then 'Others' would also Know !!

WE Are aware that there IS another Track in Melbourne,..but it would seem that 'Local' Melbouneites aren't !,..
see Here; http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9134
As you can see, a Number of Us NSW Guys HAVE advised the Person.

Apart from the One post, that I recall about you Not really being able to get Much interest going, etc on the Old forum, I have Not been able to find ANY info Re Retro racing at King Willies, either on Your Web site, or Any Aussie or Overseas forum ???

I Guess then, that the Post about 'Retro Racing in Melbourne, still Holds True, as They Were actually Racing, (if but against Plafit cars),..that is a Bit different from just running them around the Track.

As to you running against the Pros up here etc,..Yep,..I for One Noted Mikey's presence, as he finished 2nd to Myself, as would be noticed in my Race report here, on SlotBlog and on the Aussie Retro Site.

Perhaps Posting some Info and Pics,..could Help Keep us all informed.
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Great to hear Geoff.

As Stoo says, how about some pics and write ups about who's doing what to who, and are you guys building cars?

Are you running with the same regs, or have you tweeked them a bit?

We'd love to see some stuff. The more we get to see, the more people may be interested.

Stoo, would love to get the copy of the Australia Day retro race.
Steve King
il cavalino

Post by il cavalino »

Stoo 23 and Slotbaker,

Point taken re: publicising our racing - we operate on a limited budget at KW. We have just gotten our own web site up and running, pretty basic but starting to get some info on it : "www.kingwillys.com.au"

Guess I just got a little peaved with the comments about D3 starting up in "Melbourne " when we've been racing them for a while now and Mikey I raced D3's twice at Hornsby.

Are you guys going to put on a race for D3's at the Nats??

Not sure why the gent in Melb couldn't find any info on us, we've been around for over 10 years now. Sure we have moved premises but the phone number has been the same since we opened.

Geoff
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Geoff,
When you say "we've been racing them for a while now...", has that been in a regular comp or something, and how many starters do you get? It appears that there are at lease 2 more guys down there who would like to be involved.

And have you guys been building cars?
Just curious.

As far as a Retro (shouldn't use "D3" tag) CanAm race for the Nat's, that's entirely up to Wayne and James at HSC.

At this stage, I don't think it is planned, as the Aussie Retro 'Nationals' are planned for last weekend in October 09. (31/10 & 1/11)
Steve King
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Yeah,..looking at the Racing schedule for the Easter Racing,..would be difficult to Include Retros and I guess as 'strictly' they aren't really being Raced Nationally it Doesn't Really warrant inclusion.

Way Too Much racing going on !!!
Looks like it Should be a Great Weekends Racing Though !!

Will probably drop by and watch the Wing Racing,..

btw,...The 'Racing in Melbourne 'Tag' Did come Directly from the MR forum !!,.. ;)

:D :D
mrslotcar

Post by mrslotcar »

Hi guys,

we finally got some JK stock in the other day and it included some D3 stuff.
Some of the racers have been perusing and bruising the plastic bags, so
who knows what might happen in the near future at M.R. 8-)

I'm hoping RacerX will do some nice paint jobs on the D3 cars to entice
new and old racers into D3.
hutch--

Post by hutch-- »

Geoff,

If you can arrange it, get someone with a digital camera to take some photos of the track and post them in the Tracks section of this ASCRA forum, then we will know what the track looks like. I remember the guys who came up last year to Hornsby and they had some good cars and they certainly contributed to some good racing there.

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com
il cavalino

Post by il cavalino »

Hutch,

I am not exactly at one with computer technology but will see what I can do!

Rob and I raced D3's on the King last Wednesday night.

We used Falcon 7 motors, qualifying was 4.791 and race total 186 laps. this compares favorably with 16D flexi car times. Great fun hopefully we can convince a few more to start racing them.

Geoff
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hey guys,..Great to Hear there is both some action AND Interest developing down there,.."perusing and bruising the plastic bags", Love that !!,..ROFL

I must admit although I have purchased a JK 'kit' and even Started on the Build, I am as Yet still undecided about the finality of the build,..lol

I had the chance to Turn some Laps with Lindsay Byron's JK, which is a nice relatively Standard build, (lindsay had shortened the pans at the rear, then added static panlets to make up the length),..anyway, the point being, I was Really quite surprised Just How well the car went !! It was certainly a very raceworthy car.

There must almost be Enough of you down there now to make up a Retro Race!?
:D :D

I haven't Tried any of My Retro's with a Falcon 7, but I can imagine it would be more appropriate around a King, than a CheetahII
Have it fitted to my latest chassis, to have a try around HSC next time.

I Guess really, one could argue that the Falcon 7 is a more appropriate motor for the CanAm class, cos they Did have Grunt !!,..lol

jcol56

Post by jcol56 »

I sold a JK D3 kit to Terry from W.A. Hope this generates some interest out west @ Checkered Flag Raceway.
James.