WING 10 AND 27 LITE @ KING WILLYS SATURDAY 25th AUGUST 2012

il cavalino

WING 10 AND 27 LITE @ KING WILLYS SATURDAY 25th AUGUST 2012

Post by il cavalino »

Another fun afternoon's racing at King Willys today. Good to see some familiar faces in attendance: Jim, Audrey and Paul Orr as well as Dan Smith.

Good racing with only two laps separating 1st and 2nd in Wing 10 and one lap between 1st and 2nd and another one lap back to 3rd in 27 lite.

Wing 10

1st Rob Ferris 414 laps
2nd Paul Johnson 412
3rd Geoff Little 394
4th Bruce Batten 366
5th Daryl Towers 329
6th Jason Towers 322

TQ: Paul 3.153

27 Lite

1st Tim Tyler 495 laps
2nd Geoff Little 494
3rd Rob Ferris 493
4th Rick Verbeek 490
5th Stuart Bach 478
6th Lee Evans 468
7th Russell Gale 454
8th Jason Towers 453
9th Dave Matuch 212
10th Paul Johnson 138

TQ: Tim 2.280

Thanks to all who attended and hope to see you all next month (15th September) for GTP 12 and Wing 12.

Geoff
Koford1

Re: WING 10 AND 27 LITE @ KING WILLYS SATURDAY 25th AUGUST 2

Post by Koford1 »

Wow! that's a close 27 race, great to see some old names back in the entry list.
Geoff, whatever you are doing to get these competitors back is working well, do you put this down to the track improvements ?
Guess the balancing is working Tim, how about some specs/pics on the winning car?
Regards

Chucky
il cavalino

Post by il cavalino »

Hi Charles,

The response to 27 Lite down here has been really positive. The track is pretty good now, thanks to Stuart Bach.

I think it is the class that is the big attraction, Steel chassis, single mags - guys like Rick, Lee and Dave can basically use what there were using when they raced prevously.

Whilst I can't give you the specs of Tim's car I'm pretty sure it was similar to mine.

Slick 7 Predator Chassis, Single Mag set up, Koford arm, Alpha Medium wonder rubber and Alpha Nissan Body.

Regards,

Geoff
Timmy Tyler

Post by Timmy Tyler »

The most important thing my car had was luck! I was no faster than Geoff, Stuart or Rob. Rob certainly drove better than me, and did an excellent job on the gutter lanes where I was... crap. Geoff had a 2 lap lead with 30 seconds to go, but he got involved in a pile-up (not his fault at all) that hurt his car and allowed me to slip by. I was lucky, not good.

It doesn't seem to matter much what chassis you use. What's most important is a good body (Alpha Nissan really seems to work brilliantly on these cars), Alpha Medium tyres, and a Koford 34 degree armature. I use a Slick7 chassis of course, but it seems that other chassis work well too.

I'm really happy to see so many past racers coming back. When I first started racing here in Australia, people like Rick Verbeek were the "guns" who were doing stuff I was in awe of. Now he, Lee, Dave and others are back. The coolest thing is that they all seem to be enjoying themselves like they've never been away. It's just great. With turnouts like this, and such a high standard of driver and sportsman, it doesn't need to be any better.

Anyway, the specs of the car that won (despite my crap driving) are:
Chassis: Slick7 PredatorXL
Body: Alpha Nissan. Paint and wings by Geoff Little.
Setup: Koford 27 light setup. These setups are EXCELLENT!!! (Even though they are made by Koford ;) )
Armature: Koford 34 degree
Tyres: Alpha medium
Gears: 10:39 (Koford black diamond pinion, Slick7 gear)
Koford1

Post by Koford1 »

Thanks Geoff and Tim for sharing the tech info, this goes a long way to making the racing enjoyable. :D
Regards

Chucky
FC RACING

Post by FC RACING »

Tim are you using 490 arms or 500 Diameter?
Always the Hydrant, Never the Dog
Timmy Tyler

Post by Timmy Tyler »

I'm using 490 arms. I have never tried a 500. What difference does it make? I'm curious to know.
FC RACING

Post by FC RACING »

I have been using them(500 kofords 37 deg) in 480 tall setups with 22 mag seem to have more top end and i think they have better corner speed or are easier to drive on the tight lanes
going to build a couple of singles not sure if the bigger arms will will work so good in in a single mag setup that's only 400 or 420 tall so i was wondering what is being used in the single
Timmy Tyler

Post by Timmy Tyler »

I, too, will be interested to see how the bigger arms work with single mags. I'm pretty sure that the Yanks use .490" 27 light motors (at least James Grinstead does, and he finished 2nd this year in 27 light).

Carl, I really gotta ask about that 22 mag setup. What are those extra 20 magnets for? :?:
lindsayb

Post by lindsayb »

I thought 500 dia arms were a fad that has ceased. Most that I saw seem to be still on 490 or 485.

Al Chuck seemed to be building the best horsepower that I saw.

Specs were, 37 deg arm - Kofrd can and endbell - 490 arms - I think air gap was around 502 t0 504.

Gun chassis for 27 lites, redfox at 4.190, fox tail body, cut around 132 and 28 high.
FC RACING

Post by FC RACING »

Tim i have had 22 mag motors for some time they aren't breaking so i will continue to use them not sure if the extra magnets make any more horsepower but i do think they are sweeter on the tight lanes i also had a large amount of magnets made to my own specs before the 27 lite concept got going here in OZ i have been able sell 22 mag 27 sets bonded for $76 so a time the cost of the multi was not much more than a single in fact the koford single are retailing for about $60 I have just asked my manufacturer for a price on single piece 27 mag
Lindsay not sure about the 500 arms being a fad but i'm having good success with them but magic figure does seem to be 37 deg as for the 490 arms Air gap for the 500 arms 512 is what i am using
Timmy Tyler

Post by Timmy Tyler »

I am very impressed to hear that you had your own multi-mags manufactured! I remember discussing this very thing with Garry Johnson a few years ago, but at that time the cost of materials and cutting was quite high. Seriously, you've done well!

So far as prices for single mags are concerned, have you checked out Les Wright's prices? He is WAY cheaper than Koford, and his magnets are pretty damn good: he IS a G27 Light world champion after all! Having said that, my Koford G27 Light setups are excellent, so there's obviously nothing wrong with their product.

At the end of the day, we are very lucky that good equipment is now very readily available. G27 Light is a wonderful class, so let's hope that we have more people getting involved.
FC RACING

Post by FC RACING »

Hi Tim
thanks the Multi mag motor took Quite a bit of research to find the right person to make them at a cost that was economical i must have tried 20 manufactures before i found the person i no deal with now
Strangely I Just ordered some singles from Les i don't know how he is able to sell them for the price i would have get 50 Pairs minimum Made to get under his price
I just got a quote in the last week
I think unlimited 27's will die out but in needs to die a natural death as the multis break replace them with a single