glueing donuts to rims

Find out HOW _ Post your slot car related questions, answers & Info' Here.
coaltrain

glueing donuts to rims

Post by coaltrain »

whats the best glue to use to glue the donuts to the hubs for open class cars
Robert K
Coal Train Racing
kingkeough@hotmail.com
stoo23

Re: glueing donuts to rims

Post by stoo23 »

It's pretty Hard to go past Good Old Contact Cement!
:)
coaltrain

Post by coaltrain »

yeah thats what I've been using
Hay might send you a set for helping out so much.
Robert K
Coal Train Racing
kingkeough@hotmail.com
chadly

Post by chadly »

i used to just use Sellys (sp) quick grip for everything up to and including group 12 wing cars.
Petrol is for cleaning parts
Alcohol is for drinking
Nitro is for racing
Slotcars are for going VERY quick!
lindsayb

Post by lindsayb »

I do a lot of my own tires, all the way up to Grp 7. As everyone else has said, contact cement. Usual stuff leave until touch dry. The trick is to get the tire on the rim with glue. I dunk the tire in all purpose thinners (automotive) for about 10 seconds and then the tire slides on the rim.

Do not sand for at least 24 hours.
coaltrain

Post by coaltrain »

What a trip I was looking around the work shop and seen some automotive thinners and thought IDE give that a go and what do you know looks like I grabbed the right stuff .
Well the only thing left to do now is kick back and let it go off for a couple of days.
Thanks guys .
Can't wait to try out this new rubber from Brazil.
Robert K
Coal Train Racing
kingkeough@hotmail.com
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

I dunk the tire in all purpose thinners (automotive) for about 10 seconds and then the tire slides on the rim.
Interesting Lindsay,..I have always done it the Other way,...ie; Dunking the Rim in the Thinners,..Not the Tyre.

Each to his Own I guess,..would not the Thinners perhaps have an Adverse 'effect' on the Rubber ??,..Obviously,..perhaps Not,.. :D
coaltrain

Post by coaltrain »

I've got it worked out .
This is definately the best way.
In steps .
1. Buy your donut and get your inside hole .060 smaller than your rim
2. Use 50/50 mix of selleys rubber contact cement for shoe repairs and thinners
3. Use a hole saw or diamond bit used to cut holes in glass shower screams to cut some rubber plugs to plug the inside of your rim.
4. Once plugged put rim on lathe and get your readings of where your front and back is on your rim and cut the plug about .030 longer than the length of your rim
5. Using a paint brush , brush your glue/thinners mix around your rim and sit it down on your bench now using a furry pipe cleaner from your kids craft box coat the inside of your donut and sit it down on your bench then pick up your rim and dip it in your glue/thinners mix and sit it down on your bench .
6. Leave for about 2 hours
7. Using the pipe cleaner again coat the inside of your donut again and dip your rim again and line up your rim so when you put it inside the donut that the front of the rim won't touch the donut until its all the way in and the back half of the rim will carry some glue into the back half of the donut when put in , now push the rim I in a kinda side ways action don't just slide it in and once it's in the desired position twist the rim so you get glue all the way around.
8. Leave for 48 hours
9. Put wheel on lathe and cut the side walls at pre recorded measurements and you can now pop the inside plug out of the rim
10. Now true your tire on your tyre truer and your done.
Robert K
Coal Train Racing
kingkeough@hotmail.com
coaltrain

Post by coaltrain »

Oh and a great sorce of rubber to cut your own donuts is when Paul's warehouse has its 2 for 1 sale on and pick up 2 pairs of havianas flip flops and cut your own donuts
Robert K
Coal Train Racing
kingkeough@hotmail.com
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

coaltrain wrote:... flip flops and cut your own donuts
Used to do that years ago with the white topped ones, and make whitewalls with'em.
:)
Steve King