HSC 2020 Slotworx Porsche Cup Sprint Rnd 3 (7)

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results, for More 'Scale Related' Model Cars.
stoo23

HSC 2020 Slotworx Porsche Cup Sprint Rnd 3 (7)

Post by stoo23 »

Once again, the Loyal 'Usual Suspects' turned up at HSC on what was a rather Brutally cold evening, to contest the ongoing 'Porsche Cup' Sprint series.

With apologies from Rodney (due to the Birthday of "She who must be obeyed"), :lol: :lol: we were joined this time by 'Gregg T', which helped Bolster the numbers to Six.
Similarly to last time those that were at the Centre to race 'Wing 12's' helped to marshal our race (as we did for theirs), which allowed us all to have single races, with an appropriate number of entrants in each, which is always Much Better.

Whilst the Weather may have been Cold, the actual Racing, was HOT !!

As was the Practice, with everyone seemingly able to turn very respectable times, 'suggesting' the possibility of some good racing,.. Until,... Mark literally 'Hit it Out of the Park', turning a number of laps (with the Faster of his 2 x cars), in the 5.5 sec region, the Best being a 5.524 !! Eeeek,...... FAST !!!
Fortunately for the rest of us and arguably sadly for himself, as can be seen from the Race Sheet, he was Not able to replicate those times in the actual race.

The Race:
SAM_3993.jpg
SAM_3993.jpg (428.29 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
Once again, a very good start was made by everyone, with All 6 x cars going through turn 1 together, although with John managing to get a slight advantage on us all.

Mark & I managed to get through the first 2 x turns fully side by side until I managed to get ahead as we left the 'triangle' to head down under the 'bridge', allowing me to try and chase John.

As the first bracket progressed, John & myself began to get a bit of a lead over the rest of the field, to eventually end the bracket with a 2 x Lap advantage, but try as I might, whilst I could slowly creep closer, I could Not get close enought to even contemplate passing John, who was once again, setting a 'cracking' pace and driving really well.

Having started on Blue, John moved to Purple & with myself now on Blue I managed to just get ahead by a lap by the end of the 2nd bracket, even with John doing the best laps on Purple on the evening, turning 40 compared to the next best of 39 by a few of us.
Gregg was motoring along well considering the length of his 'layoff' with these cars and was in 3rd with Mark & Dale a further lap down in 4th & 5th with Darryl in 6th after starting on Purple and then Black but definitely also 'on the pace'.

By the end of the 4th bracket, Mark had managed to get a 1 x lap advantage on Gregg & Myself to take the lead briefly, with John dropping to 5th a further 2 x laps down, after a disappointing run on Black,.... BUT, there was ONLY 3 x laps across the whole field by the half way point !!

I managed to re-take the lead at the end of the 5th bracket, with John moving back into 2nd with a great drive on Orange turning 42, (interestingly as it transpires all the eventual podium placers turned 42 laps on Orange) and we now had 4 of us All on 199 laps !!
Darryl on 197 and Dale on 195, after his run on Purple & Black.

With John's car visibly quick and at times proving to be ever so slightly faster than mine on some lanes, I really had to literally 'drive like I Stole it', to stay ahead & after a good run on Orange & White, had a 2 x lap advantage heading into the last bracket.
Gregg had a disappointing run on Black and Darryl had been very consistently lapping well to move up to 3rd, with a 3 x lap advantage over Mark & Dale both on the same lap.

It was going to be a tough 'task' to keep John at bay in the last bracket, with him finishing on Green but I like Red and had a really good run, with both of us turning 41, to remain the 2 x laps apart at the end.

Sadly, after such a good run towards the end, Darryl had a somewhat serious 'coming together' with Gregg, ending up on the floor, resulting in a slightly 'deranged' chassis alignment, necessitating a trip to the Pits, which mean't he only turned 26 laps in the final bracket, which was a real shame, as he Should have easily managed 40 or 41 on Blue considering his pace on the other lanes, so lost an arguably Certain 3rd place.

After heading into the last bracket on the same lap as Dale, Mark managed a 42 on Orange to get a 2 lap lead on Dale at the end and grab the last podium place over Dale, with Gregg a further 2 x laps down to Dale, with the aforementioned Darryl sadly now bringing up the rear.
SAM_3995.jpg
SAM_3995.jpg (460.52 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
I have to say I am fortunate that John had a few more 'Unforced Errors' than myself on the night, as his car definitely had 'Pace' on All of us during the race and Obviously, he drove really well !! I Seriously had to 'drive the wheels off' my car to stay ahead by such slim margins all night, let alone how close it was right across the field.
Scan_20200824.jpg
Scan_20200824.jpg (177.27 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
A fantastically enjoyable evenings racing, once again made possible by the excellent Track Prep', (with great traction on all lanes all night) and with Great thanks to James, Joe and all the extra Wing 12 guys for their assistance and with special thanks as well to James for allowing us to run 4 minute brackets once again !!
dtslot

Re: HSC 2020 Slotworx Porsche Cup Sprint Rnd 3 (7)

Post by dtslot »

Thanks Stoo,great report !!!! WOW !,,,what a great race,,,so close and really fast. well done all,,,and thanks to James
again for top track prep,,,,Darryl
Mark Fox

Re: HSC 2020 Slotworx Porsche Cup Sprint Rnd 3 (7)

Post by Mark Fox »

Thanks Stoo,

Yes John was smoking for sure and only beaten by a 'FAT Racing' dude by a small margin to finish a very good 2nd place.

I was happy to take the last podium spot although I was not worthy as Darryl had it wrapped up except for his major bingle which allowed me to snare 3rd.

Good racing and a good win by Stoo who is slaughtering the field in this class this year.
Regards - Mark 8-)

"Do Less with More Focus"