New Again

Find out HOW _ Post your slot car related questions, answers & Info' Here.
dwellem

New Again

Post by dwellem »

After quite some time away from the sport I have now purchased a small routed track. Unfortunately there is no power supply and no wiring diagram. Plus of course no race software. The light tower is still there, but no sensors. Can anyone direct me to websites which will help me to purchase and set up this track for some fun.
TIA Denis
stoo23

Re: New Again

Post by stoo23 »

Hi Dennis and Welcome to Our Forum :)

Not sure Who or How many of us on here may be able to Help with regard to getting your Track Up & Running again.

Hopefully, Others will respond as well.

How Many 'Lanes' is it ?? and How Long ??,.. (Some Pics would be good), especially of the "Tower" you mentioned.

Depending on How it was Initially Set-Up, (component choices etc), it May or may Not be relatively easy to re-instate the Original equipment, else perhaps changing to some of the More Modern methodologies for lap counting might be Better/Easier !!??

There are a Number of Track Control / Lap Counting programs around,.. some Free (or atleast relatively Cheap) as far as I am aware and Depending on Number of lanes and types of cars you intend to run.
I think these are very Popular with Many Home Track setups;
http://racecoordinator.net/
https://trackmateracing.com/shop/en/

Most of the larger Commercial Raceways here us a System designed by Gary Johnson of 'Johnson Systems', which may also be a consideration, depending on What you might be looking for.

You may also be interested in looking at and perhaps also joining another Forum, where a couple of Australias Most Prolific Track Builders regularly 'Hang-Out' (including Gary J), as both he and Kim Axton 'Axman' have a Wealth of experience !!

You can have a bit of a look perhaps at This 'thread' on the above forum, of a recent very Nice Track build by one of the more Active members there, who may also be able to advise on some of the 'specifics' you require, re; Sensor choices and Software etc,.. see here;
http://ausmcr.com/forum/index.php?/topi ... ck-build/&
Definitely worth having a 'click' through !!

Suitable Power Supplies are relatively easy to come by,.. but perhaps obviously, At a Price.
The "PowerTech" brand of PSU's seem to be Very Popular with many Home Track Owner/racers.

Also you may also be able to get some advice/help over on the 'Ausslot' forums; http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/index
if you have no luck from the 'AusMcr' guys,.. (although I am Sure you probably Will,.. :)

Anyway,.. Hope that helps,.. 'post' some piccies and let us know what transpires / develops,..:)
Cheers,
Stewart
dwellem

Post by dwellem »

Hello stoo, and thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I am a bit slow to respond, and no one else has commented as yet. The track is 4 lanes and I have not measured all the lanes yet, but I fear that they are different, so will have to drive all the lanes to make it fair. It is a routed wooden track about 4300 m long and 2400 wide. As you can see from the pics I will attach, it has been landscaped and looks very good. I have not attached photos because I don't seem to be able to.
I now have purchased a variable power supply (so I can cut back power when the grandkids come).
As yet no others have responded. I have spent quite a few nights looking through this website and some others, and trying to get my head around it all. I have also purchased some more controllers, rather than use my old ones which were for much faster cars from about 15 years ago.
I have had a bit of a look at some race manager/lap counting software, but a lot of it seems to be from quite a while back and need a computer which are dinosaurs. I do have spare laptop which I may be able to get going
Do you have preference,for the race software preferably at a small or nil cost.
The light tower is simply some bulbs built into a bridge, with some holes where there had been sensors in the track itself. There is a wire going from the tower which I think goes to the power supply or some other source. Another bonus is the driver stations which have the same 3 pin connectors that I used to use (normal plug but with round earth)
There are 2 drivers stations on each side of the track. I started measuring the lanes but ran into difficulties, but They do appear to be of different lengths. There is also a squeeze for about a metre to hinder the faster drivers. Lane spacing is most suited to 1/32, but You could maybe run 1/24 with next to no passing opportunities, or maybe just use 2 lanes.
Yes Pageys track looks fantastic. and certainly bigger than most (he must have a very understanding partner)
I will gradually read through the information available and try and get my head around it.
I will be annoying people all over the place, trying to get a better understanding.
Thanks Denis
dwellem

Post by dwellem »

I think I have worked out putting in pictures. (I am a bit slow between the ears as well as on the track)
Attachments
Resized_20180807_133159_01.jpeg
Resized_20180807_133159_01.jpeg (427.31 KiB) Viewed 13658 times
Resized_20180721_111025.jpeg
Resized_20180721_111025.jpeg (374.31 KiB) Viewed 13658 times
Resized_20180721_111021.jpeg
Resized_20180721_111021.jpeg (373.62 KiB) Viewed 13658 times
Resized_20180721_110959.jpeg
Resized_20180721_110959.jpeg (346.63 KiB) Viewed 13658 times
Resized_20180721_110956_01.jpeg
Resized_20180721_110956_01.jpeg (91.91 KiB) Viewed 13658 times
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Nice track M8
The worst day of Slot Car racing still beats the best day at work .
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hi again,.. YEAH, that's a great looking little track !!

Regarding the Whole Race Control hardware & Software, I'll make some further enquiries, regarding a Self Contained system that I am aware of that should be available, at Minimum cost and will let you know and 'post' here when I have the relevant info for you, (hopefully in the Next few days !!).

As far as the 'Driver Stations' go,.. that's 'Handy', although I would suggest is probably Worth 'changing' the 3-Pin Power units over to the 'Normal' Flat Blade Earth type, as this will make it far easier for yourselves and any friends that own their Own Controllers to Plug-In, as that is what is Now Widely used at All Commercial raceways these days, (Even Queensland is now Changing to the flat earth pin), for commonality sake AND it has been argued that the Flat Pin provides a Better Electrical connection than the Round Pin and therefore provides better and More reliable Braking.

Anyway,.. Hopefully I will have some Further Information or possible contacts for you regarding both the track wiring and Software etc ASAP :)

Cheers
dwellem

Post by dwellem »

hanks, ha wold be really grea. I am away in WA a he momen, so far from home