Flux

Find out HOW _ Post your slot car related questions, answers & Info' Here.
neiljb

Flux

Post by neiljb »

Hi gang,
I knocked over the last bottle of acid flux I had.
Nobody in my area seems to stock acid flux. Tried Bunnings, Blackwoods, BOC and the joint that sells me MEK - nothing in stock or only in 5L containers. Very expensive and more than I can use before I die. Ebay has lots of people advertising eco friendly non acid flux??
I am wanting to do some retro chassis, while it is still a bit quiet. I usually get a small bottle from PCH, but I don't want to wait to make up an order.
Any suggestions?
Neil
SlotBaker

Re: Flux

Post by SlotBaker »

I usually get Bakers from Bunnings.
If they are out of stock in your closest store, go to their "special order desk", give them the "I/N: 5060192" and they should be able to get it in for you.
That reminds me, I gotta get some too!!
:)
Steve King
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Thanks Steve,
I might have to do that. The only problem with Bakers is that if you leave the lid off, everything in the room rusts!
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hi Neil, for Years, I have used EziWeld 801.

I found it years ago whilst investigating "Duzzal" flux, (I used to sell it under the FASTUFF label) and actually found the Old guy who created the original version (as referenced by 'Hutcho').

The stuff Works Superbly, as it was designed to work well on Brass, Bronze etc,....
Is Superb for 'Tinning' and putting Pinions on Motor Shafts !!
Have NEVER 'Spun' a Pinion !! Unlike Many Others,.. lol

BUT, is Very Aggressive and requires Very good Cleaning Practices !!,.. :)

I still Have quite a quantity of it and would be happy to provide you with more than enough to last you if you wish.

That said, whilst Fox also used to use this same flux both way back building Wing Cars and when we got back into Retro's, he has been using a different Flux of late, that is (Possibly) Not as aggressive as the 801 so may be worth checking with him ?

I also thought James had some decent Flux as well, but might be wrong.
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Hi Stoo,
Thanks for the info, let me know what compensation for the flux. Will you be at the ADC?
I thought I asked James previously and he said he couldn't get any. Thats why I started getting some from PCH.
I was just surprised that industrial suppliers were reluctant to stock the product. I was told that no-one uses acid flux anymore. I guess OHS issues would be the problem. I had better start stocking up on lead based solder, or I will be hearing the same story!
Neil.
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Neil, I just got back from Bunnings @ Bankstown, and they had "Bakers" soldering fluid on the shelf, and I found it in the plumbing section.

30-50% Zinc Chloride, <10% Ammonium chloride.
Dunno what that means!!!
:shock:

It's not genuine Bakers flux, but branded as "Bakers", "manufactured in Australia by CAGroup Industrial Solutions".

I'll give it a go and see how it performs.
:roll:
Steve King
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Thanks Steve
I was actually looking in the area where they sell soldering irons, not in the plumbing section. Will try again tomorrow.
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Yeah, that's where I began as well, then finally decided to ask the friendly Bunning's employee who didn't know either, but seeing as I had the printout to prove it existed in the store somewhere, he looked it up on the confuser and found it.
He was surprised to see it there...
Steve King
Garry J

Post by Garry J »

Most Bunnings employees are like cockroaches, if you try to catch them they scurry off and hide under something.
Cheers,

Garry J
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

You guys are tops
Steve - purchased Bakers flux from the plumbing department at Bunnings, bought six other things I really don't need and a sausage sandwich
Stoo - Ezi Weld on back order from Blackwoods.
Tah
David R

Post by David R »

For the information of slot car racers Ezi Weld 801 contains 60% Hydrochloric acid
Bakers fluid is mostly Zinc Chloride . Using a acid flux is needed for tinning Proslot drill blank shafts and soldering stainless steel .
Bakers fuid is fine for just about every thing else and is the correct flux to use on copper and brass.
The Hydrochloric Acid you can buy a Bunnings is 32% Hydrochloric acid and is what I use for acid flux . Comes in 1 litre bottles .
https://www.bunnings.com.au/bondall-1l- ... d_p0960232
Knowing how to solder is part of my job.
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Thanks for the info, DR.
:)
Steve King
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hey thanks for the Info David. Has been a while since I checked the Label :)

Like I said, it Sure does a good job of Tinning Motor Shafts and soldering Pinions !!

As far as it's 'appropriate' usage goes, from experience, it does an extremely good job on Piano Wire, but have also found it allows the solder to 'Flow' Very well and produces a Great 'wetted' joint on pretty much everything I have soldered.

It's ALL I have used since the 80's when racing Wing Cars, along with the 'Proverbial' 50/50 'Plumbers' Stick Solder !!
Can Only suggest it makes for a Very Solid and Reliable Joint and have had Very Few (if any) Breakages over the years.

Does NEED to be Thoroughly Cleaned though, else things WILL Rust,.. Big Time,.. :lol:
I have simply made it a 'Practice' to Wash and Clean both During and after a 'build'. Which is probably arguably the Best Practice anyway,.. :D
David R

Post by David R »

I spray contact cleaner on joints to clean the flux off
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/crc-150g-c ... eaner-crc/
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Thanks guys - good information. Learning all all the time.