Entry Level Wing Cars

Aussie Wing Car Racing General Discussion, Information & Results.
CAB77

Entry Level Wing Cars

Post by CAB77 »

Ok so a few of us had a conversation on this at the Brock race. The general agreement is we need to turn back the clock on wing 12's for entry level. I know there is some tracks finding success using a group F formula but I know I have tried and it isn't really an option for a few reasons. 1 motors don't last as soon as you start gearing them for speed. 2 they don't supply enough of a challenge to set up and drive even on my track.

So what most guys have currently racing in there box that never gets used are old Koford motors. You can by these complete ready to go for around $70rrp (put together by expert Koford craftsmen) at today's dollar price. That's more then a third of a price of a Cahooza group 12 motor. The motor can be rebuilt as I think this is what we as track owners and existing racers should be teaching to new guys as well. We would have to limit the timing on replacement arms and can also only have Koford replacement parts put on it. Wing chassis would be any box stock style chassis no minimum weight. We could then run a pro 12 class as well. Mind you I won't be as this is just to many classes for a weekend.

As for the finer rules on bearing and shunts etc I'm up to discussion. I'm no motor expert as you all know.
Regards
Adrian
Slick 7 Raceway
Timmy Tyler

Re: Entry Level Wing Cars

Post by Timmy Tyler »

Would it also help to restrict gear ratios to 9:43 or equivalent? They should still be fast enough, but the motors will last longer.

Good idea, though. I have said it before: Wing 12 is not a beginner class. It is a very difficult and challenging class indeed, and something more accessible is most definitely needed.
Pontiac Jack

Post by Pontiac Jack »

At the risk of re-opening "Pandora's Box of Worms",I always thought Wing10 was an excellent starter class.
It only had one real problem: Cost.
The Group 10 motor format had some people spending big bucks. The cars were getting as fast as some W12's and guys were spending as much on them as you would on a competitive W12.
A simple solution would be to run a sealed S16D motor such as the Pro Slot SpeedFX PS-2003.
They retail at about $17US. (or less)
http://e-slotcar.com/proslot-speedfx-se ... d_search=0
I realise they are Chinese and you may not get a full season out of them,but at that price you could afford to swap motors a couple of times without breaking the budget. Replacement arms are $11US,if you can work out a system for re-sealing them,this becomes an even cheaper alternative.
Run a control tyre,body and gearing and you've got an affordable way of providing reasonably fast wing car racing.

On the other hand,if you speak to Brad Verbeek,I'm sure he'll tell you G7 is an excellent entry level class :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers,Andy
lindsayb

Post by lindsayb »

We have been testing group F using a car that should retail sub $140. Motor is Hawk 7, tyres Alpha hards.

Yes it doesnt provide a driving challenge, but hey my grp 7 is punched at 1.8's

The car has been tested now for 1300 laps - best time 3.04, time at 1300 laps 3.10 - this is running 13.8V.

We are about to start racing them.

Any entry level class must have a sealed motor regardless of the type.

PS we need to stop building class's for existing drivers and focus on new people.
fast_mick

Post by fast_mick »

Whether the race is for entry level or higher faster levels or any levels including sedans, retro, scalectric

The best thing to attact new racers is for the races to be well attended with existing racers.

There is nothing worse than preparing your car getting ready and then only a few people turn up to race.
After this happens a few times even the keen racers give up.

Realistically the minimum for a good race is 6 entries.

ie... if the race is on make sure you go,.... its better for everybody...
Pontiac Jack

Post by Pontiac Jack »

Geoff put together a Hawk7 powered wing car this afternoon to do some testing.
Gotta be honest,it was a snore-fest!!!!
I think it got into the 3.5's zone. With some tweaking I'm sure it would be doing 3.2's but I think most kids would find it pretty dull after a while.
We also tried out Hawk7/GTP. Much more fun!!
A lot slower,but there was a bit of driving involved.
I think an entry level car that needs 3 or 4 braking areas per lap will be more interesting to kids than something with one or no braking at all.
Geoff and Tim were both in the 4.2-4.3's zone with a hastily prepared H7/GTP car with a high milage motor. Once again,with proper prep and some tweaking these would be 3.9-4.0's cars. Roughly the same as a Super Flexi but with at fair bit less outlay on the motor and very low maintainence.
Geoff put something like this together for a customer to race with his kid. It is geared to run in the 4.4-4.5 range. Fast enough to keep them interested without getting demolished when they bounce it off the walls.

Cheers,Andy