MODEL CAR NATS- WHAT'S WRONG?

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results, for More 'Scale Related' Model Cars.
bulsara

Re: MODEL CAR NATS- WHAT'S WRONG?

Post by bulsara »

stoo23 wrote:You Know,..the Answer to What Might be the Problem With the Model Car Nat's,..Might be linked in some way,..that in This Thread,..11 people have made a Total of 27 Posts, but the Thread has been Viewed 334 Times !!!

I wonder what the Other 300 odd people Think!!???
They are probably not interested in getting involved in a discussion that is going nowhere. Just think, in less than 12 months, we have the chance to pick the Hornsby event to pieces. :(
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Thinking out load, on the keyboard, maybe most Australian slot car racers are just that.

Racers!! As opposed to modellers.

I'm sure everyone in slot cars loves to see a well detailed car, but probably not interested enough to put the time/effort/expense in to build one.

The HSC guys running the 'Vintage' series have a fairly simple rule set that allows for as much or as little (to a point) detail as the builder would like to put in, and while the group has a great core of racers, it's bloody difficult to get new starters.

Most of those guys have great looking cars. Some are well detailed, some are basic to fit the requirements. No problem either way. The main goal is to have fun and race scale appearing cars in both hard body and vac formed for the respective classes.

The Euro style regs go to another level of detail again, and the Euro guys love thatl, so the class is extremely popular. The Americans appear to be mostly racers, but the popularity of the Euro classes is growing, be it ever so slowly.

Are there enough modellers racing slot cars in Australia to ever be as successful as we'd like?
:)
Steve King
WSMCR-Plucka

Post by WSMCR-Plucka »

no.

The problem is there is not enough "good" painters or people that do this detail work.

We are stuck in the middle with mostly racers that prefer a good handling car over a fantastic looking car.

There are some that get away with what i am about to say but in my experience with working on model cars (been doing it for 20 years already with either drags or circuit) you have to compromise looks for handling, if you want a looker then you will have quite a heavy car that will affect the handling or you can have a fast car that looks "reasonable".

Price point as well, to get a highly detailed car done is not cheap.

This may tie into why model car racing is suffering a little, things like electricity is going up and that affects everything else the first thing that gets ditched for the part time racers is slot car racing because thats something they can go without.

Maybe entry fees need to be looked at?
Plucka
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

WSMCR-Plucka wrote:Maybe entry fees need to be looked at?Plucka
Maybe, but I don't think the $$$ are the main problem. Sure, it's a factor.
Doesn't that then become a catch 22 with track owners turning enough $$$ over to stay in business, and racers spending (or not) their money.

Sponsorship could help in that case, and that's not too easy to dig up. (Where's JPVR :shock: )

Sadly, I just don't think enough racers want to, or have the inclination to put the detail into the cars for it to be truely successful here. Level of success if very subjective though.
Steve King
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Yes,..but Steve,..some of the classes are Just Slot.It's, Ninco's and SCX 1/32 plastic cars that Don't actually require That much Modelling etc, unless ofcourse one Starts with a White Kit !!

The Numbers were Down Overall, for All classes weren't they?

I was thinking perhaps there were Too many Classes, but ofcourse, Not everyone Will run in all classes, so I guess the Quantity of Classes allows, Many people to attend and compete in as many events as they have cars for and ofcourse dollars for All those classes,..lol

I often race with a fantastically Talented bunch of guys at SlotShop and am unaware that anyone from there attended, strange really, as they certainly have both the Cars and the Required Skills, (driving and setup)

All the racers that run in the Home Track Regional Series and events. I would have thought atleast Some of those people would have attended. heck, what about all the people that race at Jim's (Armchair), etc, etc.

To be Honest, I always Figured this Was and Should be a Huge Event, I guess just 'Presuming' that Fact from my knowledge of the Popularity of So many of the cars Raced at the Event.
I mean I'm an Ex Wing car driver and I Own many suitable 1/32 cars for the event!

It's a bit odd as well, that Not a lot of people, either those that Did OR Didn't attend, have commented Much on Any of the Forums in regard to the MCN, in fact there has been a Lot more from people Who didn't attend, like myself.

So it Is hard to Work out and would be I would Imagine Quite a Concern for Whoever was considering Holding the Next event !!
Quite a Challenge.
Cheers
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

stoo23 wrote:Yes,..but Steve,..some of the classes are Just Slot.It's, Ninco's and SCX 1/32 plastic cars that Don't actually require That much Modelling etc, unless ofcourse one Starts with a White Kit !!

The Numbers were Down Overall, for All classes weren't they?Cheers
True, and I gotta admit, I mainly think about 1/24 scale, so my views are mainly towards 'scratch' building cars.

As for the 1/32 scale guys, I've got no real suggestions there.
Maybe most are just happy to be racing with their bunch of local racers?
Could be the money thing that Plucka suggests? Why spend big bucks to travel/enter a race when you can do it for bugger all with a good group already having fun?
stoo23 wrote:It's a bit odd as well, that Not a lot of people, either those that Did OR Didn't attend, have commented Much on Any of the Forums in regard to the MCN, in fact there has been a Lot more from people Who didn't attend, like myself.
So your reason/s for not going may apply to everyone else as well?
:shock:
Steve King
jazzbell

Post by jazzbell »

You bring up sponsorship being to hard. Nothing is to hard if people are willing to make an effort.

The 6hr NSR enduro last year at mobile raceways i round up $5,000 dollars in sponsorship for this event which covered a team of 5 from Adelaide to go over. This included bringing my own family over as well. The money went also to the hand out Moslers,prizes which were NSR cars and parts. We had NSR shirts made up for everyone that raced. We also had sponsorship for 2008 slot.it 6hr enduro
what paid for our team to go over and race.

As for the PEC event that was shot down in flames before it even started, i was even doing the ground work for sponsorship that people were willing to help out in a big way.

So it can be done.

regards shane a

team thunderbird
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

When you mention Sponsorship Shane,..are youobviously talking Personal/Team Sponsorship?
I was Wondering, Did you mean from the manufacturers/suppliers, or from Local Businesses?

How did you Offer them a return on their Investment,..Custom Painted Bodies?

Just Wondering,..Not Trying to Steal your Ideas, Just unsure Exactly What you meant.

I would have thought Some Sponsorship Could be forthcoming from various Sources for an Event, as there are Plenty of Opportunities for PR and Signage etc.

Perhaps My reasons for going Are similar,..MY experience with 1/32 cars is Still somewhat Limited, in fact I don't even Own That many, Only bought my First Slot.it a few Months ago,..BUT,..for Myself, apart from Rear Tyres etc,..I Race cars that are Basically Completely Box Stock, Non Magnet,..on Plastic Tracks.

I Have Never run Any of My cars on Any Wooden Tracks Non Magnet, (Although I have run a few times Magnet at HSC), so for Myself, I don't Have the Cars or Handling/setup experience Not that that is a major 'Issue' as such, but I have No Extra Gear ratio sets/ Tyres/Rims etc, PLUS, My 1/32 racing is just a bit of Fun with Some cars I Like,..as you Know My Real interests Lie Elsewhere.

I am of the beliefe that we Probably, as a Hobby/Industry, Probably need to Think about Events that 'Promote' More people actaully getting into the Hobby and Specifically Racing,..as it is fairly Obvious that almost All major Slot Car Races Held in Australia, are Attended By the Same very Small Group of People.

One Could argue that Serious Quantities of New Blood needs to be Injected.

That was partly the Ideas behind My More Public Evebts Idea,..Not so Much to cater for The Likes/Dislikes of all us Old Curmudgeons !!!

:D

EDIT;
As for the PEC event that was shot down in flames before it even started,
Was it?,..By Whom?,..Not ME !!,..I may be Guilty of a Lot of things Comments Included, But I stayed Right Out of the Whole PEC thing, Mainly as I had No intention of Entering and as there appeared to be More than Enough Input, (little of Which was taken Notice of Anyway it Would Seem), but I did Not see an awfull Lot of Flame Shooting going on on any of the Forums),..it seemed to Die it's Own Death,..arguably for it's Own reasons.

No one has Offered any real Explanations or Ideas regarding That recent Failure as well, which it Must be argues was Not Good for Slotting in General.

If one can believe the Numbers supposedly to be turning up for the Group C races coming up at HSC, then What do you think were the Reasons for the PEC Not Working/Happening??
bulsara

Post by bulsara »

stoo23 wrote: It's a bit odd as well, that Not a lot of people, either those that Did OR Didn't attend, have commented Much on Any of the Forums in regard to the MCN, in fact there has been a Lot more from people Who didn't attend, like myself.

So it Is hard to Work out and would be I would Imagine Quite a Concern for Whoever was considering Holding the Next event !!
Quite a Challenge.
Cheers
I attended the MCN and have commented on this forum about this topic. Some people do not wish to comment on this or other topics for various reasons. I respect this. I just happen to be one of those that comment when I feel a need to. Right or wrong I hope that my opinions are at least considered. I had a great time at the MCN's and cannot understand why people feel a need put shit on the organisers and the track. Hey Peter do I get a discount on future purchases??? LOL
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hey,..Your Comments and Input ARE Appreciated and 'Noted' I am Sure !!

I was Not Nor Have I Ever Put 'Shit' on the Organisers, OR The Track !1
MY comments about the Track Relate Purely to My Own Personal Opinion, about What KIND of tracks I Normally Prefer to Race 1/32 cars on!
As Noted, I also rarely Turn up to race 1/32 Plastic cars at HSC, But Often Run at SlotShop !!

Although I have Never been to Mobile raceways, I am Well Aware of the Quality of The facility and The Tracks and the capabilities of It's management.

It IS a fact That Very FEW People Turned up to the event and the Question was asked.
I for One have Just been trying to Put forward Possible Ideas and Suggestions.

As it turns out I could NOT have attended, Even If I had decided to due to Work and My Own Personal Favourite racing of Retro's at HSC, for Which I had Built a New car and Wished to try it.
Retro and Scratch-Building is MY First Love, so That Will Always Take 'Preference' in My choices.

I would Love to Race Retro's On the Kingleman along with many of the Other Old Pharts that have started doing That,..which, Would Actually Be pretty close to the style of car THAT particular Track was designed to have run on it, Being basically a US 'Pro' Style early Wing car Track.

Coming From the Older Go Fast car Era I Instantly Visualise the Kind of car I would run on that Track,..and for Myself,..it Isn't 1/32,..or Made from Plastic !!,... :) :D

Cheers
jazzbell

Post by jazzbell »

Stoo,

The first year sponsorship was for our team only. 2009 we sponsored the NSR event at mobile raceways. As i said above it covered the team and the hand out cars and prizes for all the other teams that competed.

I have a building company here in Adelaide. So we put a well presented package together about the events. It's only modle cars we race so it is hard to offer what can you get out of it. Instead of asking for alot of money,our goal was to ask for little. Everyone we asked for sponsorship put in which added up to alot.

What did we offer. Our club web site,shirts with logo's,sticksers and the name on the event banner and they went for it.

As for the PEC,i'm not into bagging anyone on public forums so i'll let it lie.

regards shane a

team thunderbird
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Thanks Shane !!
As I said, I was Just Wondering in What 'Form' the representation was offered.

Even Better, for their Support, when you can Present the happy Winning Photo's Wearing the Sponsors Logo etc !!,.. :D :D
sg1

Post by sg1 »

SlotBaker wrote:
stoo23 wrote:I wonder what the Other 300 odd people Think!!???[/b]
Just watchin'.

It's probably not right for someone to comment on something, if they are not involved.
:shock:

i would like to say a lot ..... but then again............all racers are involved in this,but can't or afraid to voice their say ,due to the fact that some don't want to accept the truth !!! and risk being singled out in the forum and in the tracks

then because of the war of words in the net (scared to say anything in person???) the administrators and track owners turn their blind eyes

stop the stupid politics in slot car racing , we would be having fun instead of tracks and events closing down
nomad

Post by nomad »

As a local within 1 hour driving, quite simply put, the track is not suited to model car racing. When Pete decides to support the local guys who have quite simply spent $000's in his shop over the years and engages them in the hobby, builds a sensible model car track, then i am sure more support will follow. If you look overseas they have mostly flat tracks which require a different skill to the high speed tracks which simply bore me.(and others who did not turn up of which there are at least 10 of us). The way i see it he has room for three tracks easy.
CAB77

Post by CAB77 »

That is just wrong didnt you scale guys have a vote. The track is what it is and may not be the best track for plastic cars that is a valid point but not everyone is going to be happy with the track that it goes too every year. The point is support the event or there wont be one. Saying I didnt like the track is a cop out.

I can guarantee the guys that come race on my track dont all like my track but there is so much more to slot car racing then that. Sometimes its just nice to get together with a bunch of guys with a common interest and have fun. That is why we do it isnt it?

Next time there is a vote I suggest you all voice your opinion and support the track that gets it. I would like to see it work out its all slot car racing to me and I will do my best to get there.
Regards
Adrian
Slick 7 Raceway