Angled motors

Find out HOW _ Post your slot car related questions, answers & Info' Here.
kgg321

Angled motors

Post by kgg321 »

Hi people, is there any detrimental effect in the way the motors that are angled to the axle? I notice in pictures of them that not all of the pinion is in contact withe motor gear.
regards
Keith
stoo23

Re: Angled motors

Post by stoo23 »

Hi Keith, ... (I moved you 'post' here to the 'Tech' section)

As far as 'Effects' go, I guess the answer could be Yes & No and possibly also depending on the Material and 'Pitch' of the gears in question.
Anglewinders Have been around since the late 60's and early 70's both with angled pinions and spurs And Without.

If the 'Mesh' is Set nicely, it could be argued there is minimal wear and perhaps less 'friction'.
One also has to 'consider', that for many years Far thinner metal spur gears were used, which would not really make Much Less of the pinion be in contact than even when in a Sidewinder setup.

Realistically, a Good, properly set 'mesh', along with the modern material of the spurs, makes any undesirable effects fairly minimal.

There Are also Angled Pinions and angled Spurs, so quite a number of choices can be used if deemed to be required.
One could argue the Spur will Wear More but unless badly Set it's service life should still be quite good :)
kgg321

Re: Angled motors

Post by kgg321 »

Hi Stoo, thank you so much for the informative reply. I am new to the hobby, although I did have an open wheeled Honda racing car back in the late 60's. I used to race it at a commercial track near the Frankston station which of course is now gone.
thanks again for th ereply.
Keith