Traction Magnets,...Sigh,..

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results, for More 'Scale Related' Model Cars.
stoo23

Traction Magnets,...Sigh,..

Post by stoo23 »

You know, whilst apart from the fact that being an 'ardent' devotee of the Scratch-building, Piano wire and Brass Crowd, where, to be Honest the Meccano cars are almost a complete anathema,.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I WAS, thinking, that in much the same way as the Avant Slot style of cars, which offer quite a degree of Tuning and adjustability, So would the Plafit cars, (which they Most Obviously Can and DO!), BUT,..Having Now driven a couple of them,..(Fitted with Traction Magnets), around HSC's Road Course,..may I say, I am somewhat disappointed.

Even though My background comes from 'Goo' and 'Wing' cars,..I actually DON'T Enjoy Magnet Racing.

When the G Plus AFX cars came out, THEY offered a strangely Similar degree of driving performance to 'Wing' cars,..but Sadly, I found the PlaFit cars, Much the Same as a Scalextric in 'Feel' around HSC.

I am Hasppy with the Fact that I May be Alone in this belief, although I think Dale was also Hoping to Race these Cars 'Non Magnet'.

They Just Feel like they are 'Completely' STUCK, with that Feeling like they are Pulling through Heavy Goo down the Straight AND, just like Scalextric Magnet Cars, the driving becomes IMHO, rather weird,..I think I will Have to 'Fit' a Switch to Remove the Brakes from My controller !!,.. :lol: :lol:

Anyway,..please understand I in NO Way wish to Start OR Cause Any arguments !!...these comments Are Just a Very Personal Observation.
Not sure I would Really want to Race them With Traction magnets.

What is the 'Norm' for the Various Classes ??
WSMCR-Plucka

Re: Traction Magnets,...Sigh,..

Post by WSMCR-Plucka »

Light Spray goo and no magnets.

You are the 2nd person that has commented that the cars seem a little slow.

This could be due to the fact that the cars come fitted with fox motors so maybe make some classes with the Cheetah motors?

We run a Muscle car/ Vintage Stock car class which is basically the 1300U RTR under a hard body car with no magnets and basically no changes to the chassis and only weigh added.

The Plafit FX/FJ cars are a tonne of fun as well as they are no magnet as well.

Point is, no magnets are the way to go for these as there is plenty of adjustability in the cars already and you just add, remove or move the weight around to make the cars work.
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Yeah,..that was kind of what I was getting at, re the Tuning and adjustability of the chassis.

With such a Not so Powerful motor and the overall weight of the car, it Limits performance. with magnets, and just makes the cars go 'strangely' I reckon.

I'd venture that without the magnets, the Fox motor would be Fine around HSC, they would certainly be Faster in the straights, no need to over power them.

The Other thing that Is a bit odd, is the direction of Travel,..I can understand why the Scalextric cars go in the direction they do,..but when one can 'Wire the car up' in Any desired manner, Isn't the 'Normal' direction of the HSC Track the Same as we run Retro's ??

Which direction do you run them at your track Paul ??

Ahem,..hmmmm,..thinking about it, as HSC,..Remains Backwards in 'It's' wiring,..perhaps that answers That,...lol

:D
CAB77

Post by CAB77 »

Hornsby backwards Naahhh its the rest of us that are backwards :lol:
Regards
Adrian
Slick 7 Raceway
WSMCR-Plucka

Post by WSMCR-Plucka »

Retros,Plafits, Flexis and scalextric all run in the same direction (becomes hazzardous if they are going in different directions).
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Yes,..silly me,..ass about logic,.. :lol: :lol: :lol: