Its not fair

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
Greg Erskine

Re: Its not fair

Post by Greg Erskine »

OK, I'd be interested in documenting the history of "Waitara Slot Car Track". I have some vague memories.

When I stated going to the track, Jack (Hardy?) ran the place. His son was also involved and I remember him having a Holden Sandman that he used to park in the actual center. We were racing 36Ds in folded aluminum sidewinder chassis and 26Ds in various Champion angle winder chassis on the banked track. I think my first car was a 36D hard bodied Lola T70. Both tracks were coin operated 2 bob for 15 minutes. Years later I did the maintenance on these coin boxes including converting them to 20 cents for 10 minutes.

Charlie Rickards, who used to run the club racing, got me to stop playing on the banked track and do club racing on the flat track. I was originally racing a Champion 617 (26D size) and I think everyone else was using Mura stuff. I eventually changed over to a Mura C-can group 20.

I also rewired both tracks at one stage changing over to timers behind the timers and relays instead of the coin operated consoles. I think Wayne Bramble may have helped by supplying the wire and advice. Is that how you remember it Wayne?

The flat track's remained perfect until it disappeared. Remember those light operated lap counters??

Owners/managers I remember:

Jack (Hardy)
Martin (Davidson?)
- Doug and Gary (son)
- Ted and Martin
Mark Smith
Charles Rickards
- Gary Johnson
- Wayne Bramble
James

I think the flat track was removed during Mark Smith's ownership. He replaced it with some crazy clay oval RC track.

Martin redid the banked track, painting it red and replacing the copper braid with copper tape. This made the track even worst IMHO.

I can remember the sales counter being in 3 different locations.

regards
Greg
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Thanks Steve !!
do the two original tracks still exist or do you know their history after they were sold?
Due to it's inherent design and build, the 'Banked' Track, was NEVER going to be 'Removable' in ANY form or Fashion that would facilitate it moving elsewhere !! It was a 'Binner' and is Most Definitely Gone.

The Flat track was sold to the person that 'setup and established' the Track at Lurneah,.. 'Don Haines' ??
He was also an importer / distributor and lived on the South Coast somewhere I think.

After being Shortened, it Did Exist there for a number of years and I Have heard rumours that suggest it Did Go Elsewhere and May very well have been 'In Storage' somewhere, BUT that was a Long time ago and have Not heard anything Of It for many years !!

That said, I mean,.. who Really knows ?? You would 'assume' it Has Gone, but it may still be in storage,.. somewhere !!??
If it Was kept well, one would suggest it might even Still go back together OK.

It WOULD be Good to get a 'Definitive' answer at some stage !!

:D
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

This is getting interesting.
In my earlier post I mentioned the banked track becoming worn in the 70's. I was actually thinking the 80's but my geriatric fingers found the 7.
My memory of events is pretty clear, but I am finding that I am getting the timing wrong. So take my recollections as approximate.
Most of my time at Waitara was thrashing with my school mates, I didn't do organised racing until I started working. (Coincidentally at the Repco opposite James Lane) At that stage there wasn't much racing at Waitara, so I spent more time at G&D, Parramatta.
I recall,a couple of Wing car races at Waitara.
One being a Geoghan with sedan bodies and very high wings attached. Gp20 motor. Raced on the flat track. I think I got my first lesson in marshalling from Fox on that day.
Some interstate racers spent a lot of time practicing on the banked track, assuming that was the race track, before realising the flat track was the one in use. No body told them otherwise. (He, he)
The other being held on the banked track a couple of years later.
Yes the banked track.
I think I was married but still childless, so maybe 1980?
It was an association race for GP20. The usual suspects from that era raced and I even recall reading a race report, but not a Mini Wheels report.
I really remember this for the number of guides that broke (myself included) due to the rough edges of the Masonite track.
Anybody else?
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

PS
Does anyone know what actually happened to Martin?
I have heard plenty of rumours, but does anyone actually know?
Neil
brady

Post by brady »

Add Peter Dimmers to the managers list also Greg.And Rob,sorry forgot last name,was still there when Wayne came back.
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hey Greg,

Thanks Very Much for your 'Personal' additions to the "Waitara" story :D
When I stated going to the track, Jack (Hardy?) ran the place. His son was also involved and I remember him having a Holden Sandman that he used to park in the actual center.
Yeah, that would be 'Correct' !!,.. :)
Kevin (the Original Owner and Builder), eventually Sold the track to Jack Hardy and he and his son John, used to be 'Regulars' in the Club events at and prior to the time. In fact I think they would have been amongst Waitara's earliest and Loyal customers/Racers,... perhaps.

Jack was certainly a 'character' !!,.. :) In thinking about him, I seem to recall one would NEVER see him without a 'Roll your own Fag' at some stage of being smoked !!,... like it was some kind of 'Endless' cigarette !!,... :lol:

To be honest, I am Not really sure just WHY Kevin decided to sell the place. It could very well have been a 'Health' issue, either with himself or Marge, but perhaps was simply, that it had changed and he Had been doing it for quite some time at that stage and may Simply have become tired/disillusioned etc,..???
I seem to remember he was still even entering NSWMRRA events, when held there, using Mura 'B' Cans and stuff, around when Goo perhaps 'Started' to get slightly Sillier than it had EVER been previously and early 'Air-Dam' additions to various Classes etc.
Charlie Rickards, who used to run the club racing, got me to stop playing on the banked track and do club racing on the flat track. I was originally racing a Champion 617 (26D size) and I think everyone else was using Mura stuff. I eventually changed over to a Mura C-can group 20.
Perhaps interestingly as well Greg, is I too was Racing and using 26D's in the Club racing,.. they were great,.. I Loved them !!,.. :)
Was eventually trying all manner of Silly Rewinds for them.
If the Endbells hadn't kept 'Melting' so Easily, they could have remained a Very useful Motor for Far longer I believe. Perhaps a Shame No 'Aftermarket' or 'Improved' unit was Ever made,... :idea: :(
It was I think, Both Kevin and another Club racer called Trevor, that convinced Me to 'join' them on the 'Flat Track'

The company Dad used to work for, also had a Toy 'Import and distribution' section and Waaaay back 'in the Early Days', even had a 'Racing Team', (as one Did back then,... :lol: )
A Father/Daughter Daughter 'team' Bert & ????? (sadly Can't remember her name) Kynoch.
After my rather awful First 36D, (the Revell Aluminium Side-Winder), I was given one of Bert's earlier 'Pro' 36D race car.
It was this Rather Nicely built/modded Hybrid Dynamic/Scratch built thing, a Lot in fact like a Lot of the 'Thingie' guys run and to be Honest, it was like Chalk and Cheese from what I had previously !!,... :lol: But,.. ofcourse, whilst Quick, it was Not competitive with the current Club Racers cars and was 'Helped' and 'Inspired' to Build my Own car, Like they Had.

Withing a few Weeks of racing regularly with the Club guys and an (advance on my Pocket Money !!,.. lol), I had a rather effective Stainless Steel, Piano wire and Brass 26D Anglewinder, that proved to be a virtual Unbreakable and arguably rather Effective around the 'Flatster' !!
Was Leading my First Association race with it until my 'Last' Motor also Decided to 'ascend to the Slot car Gods in the Sky',... :lol: and ended up 3rd.
Both tracks were coin operated 2 bob for 15 minutes. Years later I did the maintenance on these coin boxes including converting them to 20 cents for 10 minutes.
Wow !!,.. Cool !!
As you Haven't 'mentioned' it I can only assume you DON'T have Any Pics of Same !!??
If it was Today, you just KNOW we Would have Taken 'inumerable' Images !!!,... :lol: :lol:
I also rewired both tracks at one stage changing over to timers behind the timers and relays instead of the coin operated consoles. I think Wayne Bramble may have helped by supplying the wire and advice. Is that how you remember it Wayne?
Wow,.. Gee, I seem to remember that change, so Must have 'been around' myself at the time.
The flat track's remained perfect until it disappeared. Remember those light operated lap counters??
ha Ha Ha,.. Yeah !!
I think a Few tracks had 'similar' systems around that era,.. In fact could be argued that was the reason the Rules 'Stated' that "NO Part of the Track may be Visible through the Body" etc, etc,.. Cos' it Might NOT Count all your Laps !!,.. :lol: :lol:

Owners/managers:
Kevin & Marge Thurston
Jack & John Hardy
Martin (Davidson?) ??? Hmmm,.. Yeah,.. you'd guess that may have been 'possible'
Doug and Gary (son) ??? Last Names anyone ??? Don't 'remember' these people,.. might not have been at the track much at the time.
Ted and Martin
Mark Smith
Charles Rickards
Peter Carolin / (Insert whatever Name you knew him by),.. lol,.. His Girlfriend called him, "Drew" !!??
Gary Johnson Bulder of the Current tracks
Warren Jackson "Jacko"
Peter Dimmers
Rob ??
Wayne Bramble
James Colfax
I think the flat track was removed during Mark Smith's ownership. He replaced it with some crazy clay oval RC track.
Yeah not sure if it had already Been sold prior or after his arrival.
Martin redid the banked track, painting it red and replacing the copper braid with copper tape. This made the track even worst IMHO.
OH !!,.. Really ??? Far Out !! Now That I definitely Do NOT remember !!,.. perhaps,.. Gladly one could suggest !!,.. :lol: What a Shame.
I can remember the sales counter being in 3 different locations.
For sure, and perhaps could be like 3.5 !!??, with How it was when Peter C was there, as it was 'L' shaped.

Might realistically Have to Move this 'thread', or perhaps parts of it to a more 'Specific' Topic,... Historically speaking,.. ;) :lol:
cheers,
:)
Greg Erskine

Post by Greg Erskine »

neiljb wrote:PS
Does anyone know what actually happened to Martin?
I have heard plenty of rumours, but does anyone actually know?
Neil
http://www.australianmissingpersonsregi ... vidson.htm

Search for Mark Smith on this page

http://www.debbiekruger.com/broadcaster/2sm.html
brady

Post by brady »

Pete Dimmers was manager before Wayne returned home.Peter went to Melbourne and Wayne took the reigns.Rob was there with Peter and with Wayne for a short time after Peter left.I would need Waynes help to remember his last name.Troy would remember Rob well.Greg is Greg Erskine.I was just refering these names to him.Not much history from me just thought I could help with Gregs list.Sorry to but in,I am enjoying the history lesson.Regards BRAD.PS I only know these blokes as managers .
Garry J

Post by Garry J »

I worked there for a while, and built the tracks. Never a manager though.

The 'Hornsby Slot Cars' name probably came from Charles and Martins business when they took over from Peter Carolin. I think Martin may have held the lease on the building for some time.

I left Sydney and moved to Brisbane a while before Martin disappeared. Detectives came up to Brisbane and interviewed me shortly after but I never heard any more about it.
Cheers,

Garry J
ozproducts

Post by ozproducts »

Paul Travis was a manager for a couple of years in the 80's. Martin well i can't say anything because the Police mite read this forum.
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

I was going through Slot Baker's magazine downloads.
In the May 1970 Model Car Racing Review the Waitara Flat Track gets a race report. Very interesting reading. Steve Hutcheson won. Current retro racers Stoo and Mark Fox get a mention. As well as recently retired Wayne Bramble.
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

:D
Yes Neil, as reported elsewhere, that was actually My very First NSWMRRA Race running in the recently Created Division 3.

It was a very closely fought race and I was really surprised to find myself running Up the Front and HAD My Hand Wound 26D's Endbells NOT (typically) have ALL Melted heading towards the end of the race, I (May) have even Won !!,.. :)

As it was, I managed to 'Limp' home with the last of my Spare motors, that Only Just made it to the End, (a truly Ridiculous #25 wire thing), to finally finish 3rd.

It was also the race where I first met Mark, Wayne and Lindsay (and obviously, many others).

I also had the 'opportunity' to have a Drive of Steve Hutchesson's Winning car after that race and Oh Boy !!,.. as I am sure Mark can also attest to, the thing was a Beast !!!
Steve not only 'Built' superb Chassis, but His Motors were another thing alltogether !!!,.. :lol:
It had one of the Older 2 Hole Mura cans, with a Massively LONG Armature stack (which was often typical of his cars at the time) and had SO MUCH Torque, it 'Literally' LEAPT Between the Corners !!

I was Astounded !!,.. I had Never driven a car that Handled That Well and was SO DAMN Fast !!!

In a Word,... AWESOME !!!!
:lol:
ozproducts

Post by ozproducts »

Neil, I;am NOT retired i just cant race on Tuesday,Friday, Saturday or Bloody Sunday. Maybe the new raceway might race on Thursday the one night i don't work
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Sorry Wayne, I was premature with your retirement.
Thursday night sounds great!
Old Phart Wing Cars on Thursday
Rules -
1. Must have raced in the 1970's
2. Can't remember if you raced in the 1980's
3. Hand wind your own arms
4. ........ can't remember the rest of the rules.
Neil
Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox »

What new raceway??
Regards - Mark 8-)

"Do Less with More Focus"