Flux

Find out HOW _ Post your slot car related questions, answers & Info' Here.
trophy

Re: Flux

Post by trophy »

Yes most interesting.
So how do you rate the likes of lucky bobs or staybright.
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

I have used Lucky Bobs for a while and thought it is good. The Bakers I purchased recently seems pretty good as well. Looking forward to the Ezi Weld that Stoo recommends, when it arrives and I am going to Bunnings again to try the Acid suggested by David. It makes sense to use acid for acid flux. I also like his suggestion about using contact cleaner after soldering.
Maybe I should do a road test on the results.
I still think main thing with soldering is a good hot iron My current favourite is a setup that Lyndsay Byron put me onto - an electronic temperature control module, a used laptop battery charger and a Hakko 'handle'. Not sure if it a genuine Hakko as I got a couple from EBay pretty cheap. I initially wanted it as a pitbox tool but I found I liked using it for most jobs. So it stays on the bench now.
I use a big 100w when chassis building ( slow to heat up) but good when it gets there and small temperature control unit in the pitbox for doing wires etc at the track. I usually like to pit near Joe at HSC as he has everything I have ever needed to borrow and is very gracious when loaning, I particularly like his iron.
Neil
trophy

Post by trophy »

I for one would love to see your test results of the different flux's and how they performed.
neiljb

Post by neiljb »

Still waiting for the Ezi Weld to arrive from Blackwoods............
I the mean time I have had to solder a new pinion onto a new shaft. The Bakers made it hard work. I ended up having to 'rough up' the arm with my Dremel. I have not had to do this with Lucky Bobs acid flux previously.
The Bakers seems fine when soldering motors into chassis.
David R

Post by David R »

For those that use paste flux ( at least you can't knock it over and spill it ) it is cheaper to buy it like this but you won't get this at Bunnings you need to go to a plumbing store .
Attachments
la co flux.JPG
la co flux.JPG (30.69 KiB) Viewed 9743 times