Bodies and Classes ??

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
stoo23

Bodies and Classes ??

Post by stoo23 »

Just thought I'd Raise the subject, as we are anout to Embark on a New Seasons Racing.

Obviously there is Now a Quite reasonable supply of CanAm bodies and I for One Was Always a pretty serious CanAm Fan,..so running them is Fine by me,..BUT,..obviously Long Distance/LeMans/Coupe Style cars of THAT Era are also Prettyy damn Popular and also Look Pretty Damn Good as well !!! :D

So,..without wishing to Upset John,..with any Further talk of actually Running an Enduro,. ;) ;) :mrgreen:

I was wondering if there was any intention of Running Coupe Bodies at Any of the Rounds?

Also,..as Now there seem to be a Few Actually already Building, running And Testing their F1 Open Wheelers (and hopefully there will be suitable bodies available soon), are we Keen to Run some Retro F1's??

In reference to Wayne's Idea from last year about running on the Big Track,..IMHO, I reckon That idea could be rather 'Dull' with these cars and the CheetahII motors,..BUT as Falcon7's as well as the 'Appropriate' ProSlot motors are Now available, (although here I AM Keen to Keep the Motors Un-Fudgable, Like the Cheetah's and Falcons),..perhaps they Would be a possible Option.

The 'Yanks' have been running Falcon7 motors quite successfully for some time, on Kings and Kinglemanns etc.

Just some Ideas to Bandy about :D
WSMCR-Plucka

Re: Bodies and Classes ??

Post by WSMCR-Plucka »

Pardon my ignorance, Falcon is JK?

Also the Euro MK motors from pro slot car rather slow.

I put one in a 3/32 axle flexi and the cheetah is a couple of seconds a lap quicker.

Cheetahs or Falcons, for under $20 you have a new motor.

Looking as possibly building some cars for our new track at the end of the month how is the engine life?

Any problems with them?

Cheers

Plucka
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hi mate,

Yes the Falcon7 IS by JK products.

Chosen as well in the States FOR Those Very Reasons,..Cheap Replaceable Motor with Good performance.

Having NOT Run them for Any amount of Time, I cannot offer any Personal observations Re the Falcon motors,..But so far with the PlaFit CheetahII motors,..one could Only describe their Use and performance as Excellent !!

There seems Little Real performance 'Difference' out of the Bag, Motor to Motor.

I guess it Might be argued that a Brand Spanking Fresh Motor,..Might be Quicker than an Older one,..BUT,..that said,..a Lot of Races have been Won by Motors that Really Have done quite a Few races.

I Have had one or two whose performance has dropped slightly, but Not from Use or Race Age as such,..Still very useable, but Not setting any Fires !!,..lol Overall though, I would have to say they 'Hang in there' Damn well, as both Fox and Myself have Both run motors in Sprints and Enduro's and ther are still running Fine,..So,...Great Value.

If you are Looking for some Chassis design Ideas and Inspiration :) have a Squizz at Keith Tanaka's site; http://albums.phanfare.com/3996070/2008/, it has some Great Pictures of cars and stuff (Mostly from Buena Park Raceway), and they have a Kinglemann !!
Also Check out SlotBlog, the Home of Retro D3, there is a Lot of Very Interesting stuff there not All about Retro either, definitely Worth a good look around.

The JK Retro Kits also DO seem to be Pretty Good and can be built and modified in Many ways and although a 'Kit' as such, still require Some building and are also affordable, so may be an Option which I would venture would also handle pretty well around Ypour Track !,..NOT to Deter you from 'Building' your Own in Any way !!!,..lol

Cheers
CAB77

Post by CAB77 »

Having run both JK Falcon 7 motors and Cheetah II They both have there advantages. The falcon 7 Is faster by .4 sec a lap around my King but as the motor ages they loose brakes noticeably. Falcon 7 Motors seem to last around 10 weeks of racing before they need a change. Cheetah II would last twice as long and the difference between a fresh motor an older motor doesn't seem to be as noticeable.

Were holding a 3 hour race tomorrow using the falcon 7 motors in Flexi cars 3/32 rear ends so I will have a better understanding of how they last in a straight period.
Last edited by CAB77 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Adrian
Slick 7 Raceway
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Just for info, here is a link to motors used by IRRA in USA.
http://www.irraslotracing.com/id8.html
:)
Steve King
CAB77

Post by CAB77 »

Ok WOW the Falcon 7 motors hold up really well I qualified with a 5.212 and after 3 Hours of racing I did my fastest Lap of the race of 5.437 in the last bracket in the last 5 min. The motor had about 75% brakes left and lost a little straight line speed but that could been caused by some of the large hits it had coped earlier in the race.

I feel all the motors faired evenly with no failures just a few gears and some bent front ends that separated the drivers at the end.
Regards
Adrian
Slick 7 Raceway
racerx

Bodies and Classes ??

Post by racerx »

When Ray & I went to your dash for cash race in Nov, I did not know if I was going to burn a lot of falcon motors.
But didn’t burn a single one. I’d must have done 1000 laps so why did I take ten motors for, JUST INCASE.
Burt the car home and run it on the king, to see if it was still OK.
Dam it was fast. 4.41 With a Sunset VS Commodore, So I put an Extreme Porsche on it and did a 4.16 FAST.
Very good Bang for your Buck!!?

Also painted my first Aussie Retro body!
:ugeek:
HAVE FUN.....Keep it in the slot!
Image Racer X
dsr1967

Post by dsr1967 »

that is just to nice mate call ya soon . hmmm what will i call you
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Nice job on the body :D