What to expect at the Brock

Aussie Wing Car Racing General Discussion, Information & Results.
Timmy Tyler

What to expect at the Brock

Post by Timmy Tyler »

The Brock is only a week away so I reckon it's time for a little sneak preview, don't you?

The Track
The power supplies have recently been upgraded by the boy-genius Stuart Bach. He has installed four new power supplies and a capacitor so that the power is now a constant 13.8 volts no matter how many cars are on the track. It doesn't drop off AT ALL during the races either. Best of all it's nice and clean, so the motors are lasting very well. It's about 1/2 a volt more than we used to have so times have improved a little, but it's the consistency that's really made a difference.

Last year the track got really really sticky as Sunday wore on, and the cool temperature made it even more grippy. That made it very difficult to get around some corners and the racing suffered as a result. Opens were exceptionally difficult. This year, I understand that the track will be cleaned after OMO so that conditions don't go crazy again on Sunday.

Finally, there have been further improvements to the smoothness and leveling of the track (again thanks to Stuart). This, too, has made things more pleasant and more consistent. The combination of the power improvements, track conditions and smoothness should make racing even more enjoyable.

Who's going to win what?
Frankly, I've got no idea. The competition will be as tough as ever, if not tougher. Let me preview some of the classes to give you an idea.

In GTP Group 12 we will probably see another titanic battle between Adrian and Russell. Getting close to them is going to be tricky. However, don't forget that Rob Ferris won the Nationals in this class and on this track in 2011 and if he's not in the mix then I'm going to point at him and laugh.

Wing 12 will be tough, tough, TOUGH! We've been racing these on Wednesday nights recently, and the track record has gone from 309 laps to 321 laps. Also, 2.6's are now very commonplace in qualifying so speeds have gone up a lot. Queensland Mick and Russell have both done 321 so expect them to be at the front of the pack. Dan Roberts will be fast (he always is!) and he's the current National Champion so that makes three obvious contenders. But behind them (and not far behind either) is a whole pile of good racers. So many, in fact, that I think just making the main will be an accomplishment.

OMO will be interesting. I have absolutely no idea who will be at the front of this but the winner will probably be one of Rick Verbeek, Adrian Bycroft, Geoff Little, Russell Gale, Queensland Mick, Stumpy, Dan Roberts or Stuart Bach. So that's only eight guys slugging it out at the front... Good luck to the rest of us.

27 Lights will be the same only more so, because even more guys race them competitively. Take the front runners from OMO and add Andy Stringer (current KW G27 champ and record holder) Wayne and Cody to the mix. If you can pick a podium (let alone a winner) from that lot you're a genius.

Opens will be the cauldron that it always is. You throw yourself in there and hope you come out the other side unscathed. The cream always rises to the top (as Adrian did last year) but how on earth can you pick a winner from Wayne, Adrian, Dan, Cody, Geoff, Rick, Russell, Mick, Stumpy, Stuart or someone else that I haven't mentioned? Remember, folks, I'm the guy who didn't even mention Jose Mario as a contender for the Nats so if you didn't get a mention here then you are probably in with a good chance. Now, who did I forget? Lindsay, Lee, Dave Fitz, Brad, Ray.......

Good luck everyone!
Stumpy

Re: What to expect at the Brock

Post by Stumpy »

Tim
Thanks for the information, yes there are a lot of people that have picked their racing game up (me for one?? ), but you missed one important person that is a very good driver, always quick and very good at what he does and that is you Tim, we can't discount that, but yes you are correct any person on their "A" game could win and the KW crew are always hard to beat.

Stumpy
CAB77

Post by CAB77 »

Looking forward to this race. It is great track to race on and looking forward to racing on it with the improvements. It will be a tough opens race just to make the final. Hope to see you all there.

My top 3 for the Brock in no particular order. Roundy QLD Mick and Rick.
Regards
Adrian
Slick 7 Raceway
Timmy Tyler

Post by Timmy Tyler »

Stumpy wrote:Tim
... you missed one important person ... you Tim
Me? Important? Bwahahahahaha!

Actually, I have a cunning plan. After completely failing to mention Jose Mario for the Nats, and then seeing him win, I have concluded that I have the magical power to make racers win by not mentioning them. So, by not mentioning myself I am assured of a win. Brilliant! However, by that logic, Tony Abbot is also in with a chance...
michael

Post by michael »

Better bring me A game then 8-) see ya all there.
Qld Mick.
Nice work Tim :lol:
Timmy Tyler

Post by Timmy Tyler »

Results so far:

Hawk Flexi F1
1st. Paul. 187
2nd. Adrian. 183
3rd. Geoff. 177

Super Flexi
1st. Geoff. 338
2nd. Russell. 329
3rd. Ross. 298

GTP 12
1st. Tim. 396
2nd. Adrian. 382
3rd. Russell. 376

Wing 12. (15entries)
1st. Russell. 456
2nd. Tim. 448
3rd. Roundy. 445

O M O
1st. Adrian. 763
2nd. Stuart. 747
3rd. Rick. 732

It's been tough! 5 races, and 5 different winners. Lots of very competitive racing indeed, and more to come without a doubt.
Timmy Tyler

Post by Timmy Tyler »

The rest of the races went like this:

Int 15
1st. Russell. 489
2nd. Lee. 482
3rd. Geoff. 462

27 Lite
1st. Roundy. 741
2nd. Rick. 729
3rd. Tim. 729

Open.
1st. Stuart. 949
2nd. Adrian. 918
3rd. Tim. 841

You can find the full results on the King Willys FaceAche page:https://www.facebook.com/kingwillys.raceway

It was a really excellent weekend. Everybody seemed to enjoy themselves, and there were laughs aplenty. The track was in excellent condition, and there were no technical glitches to speak of. We were very lucky to have Judy doing the cooking so we all had excellent fresh food available. Also, everyone pitched in to do marshaling and race control duties so that all the races ran really smoothly. As you can see from the results the trophies were shared around quite a bit, which is a testament to how competitive the current crop of racers are. I think the standard of racers is very, very high right now.

The highlight was the very close battle between Stuart Bach and Adrian Bycroft that raged throughout the Open final. There was little to separate them until the final minutes when things finally came undone (but only a little!) for Adrian. Stuart's win was very popular, and extremely well deserved. There is no question that he is a very worthy recipient indeed of the legendary Brock Trophy. He can feel proud of himself, and for good reason.

Finally, we must all thank Geoff for putting on such a fine event, and for keeping King Willys going. Without King Willys there is a whole bunch of us who would have nowhere to play. Kudos.
CAB77

Post by CAB77 »

Thanks Geoff for another great weekend of racing. You have a great bunch of guys there and it as always a pleasure to come and race at King Willys. All raceways can learn a thing or 2 from Geoff.

Congrats to Stuart on his well deserved win. It was close racing between him and I from OMO right through the semi to the last bracket of the final.

Thanks to Roundy for the Motors and Bodies and Ross for helping me out all weekend. So nice to have plenty of Queenslanders this far south. Hope to see you all in Rocky in a August.
Regards
Adrian
Slick 7 Raceway
il cavalino

Post by il cavalino »

Well another Brock is done and dusted, first of all congratulations to all the winners, Paul, Tim, Russell, Roundy, Adrian, and Stuart.
Thanks to all who attended both locals and interstaters and those who didn't race but their contribution is just as important, Bruce, Judy and Ted.

The Brock is just one weekend of the year and without the continued support of all throughout the year there would be no raceway.

Thanks (in no particular order) Tim, Bruce, Rick, Stuart, Russell, Lee, Dave, Andy, Paul,
Qld/Vic Mick, Paul, Rob and Steve.

Special thanks to Stuart for all the work on the track over the past two years and Bruce for all the odd jobs.

Thank you all.

Geoff
michael

Post by michael »

Thanks King Willys Raceway for another great weekend of racing .
Qld Mick.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Thanks for a great weekend Geoff.

For my first weekend away racing slot cars instead of drag cars, I had a blast.
It was good to meet everyone down there and see some great racing.

Would be good to see one or two faces come north for another great weekend of racing later this year!

Otherwise, until next time. Happy racing and well done to all the winners.

Ross