Holes in tyres or your wallet

Aussie Wing Car Racing General Discussion, Information & Results.
fast_mick

Holes in tyres or your wallet

Post by fast_mick »

Most people here follow the other slot car forums.

There are a few posts about price increases to really insane levels for a pair of wheels.

While we generally follow USRA rules as general guideline, we can diverge where it makes sense for us to do so and there is sufficiently broad racer consent. eg Spray Goo

We all want to go as fast as the rules will allow and therefore as Lindsay pointed out on Old Weird Herald, even if the Giants are only worth a 1 lap a bracket, it still makes them worthwhile.

I stand corrected but we don't have many tracks that using Giants are an definite advantage ie (Rocky,Dandenong and the New SECRETLY fast track on the Central Coast).

(I don't think you can currently buy un-drilled Giants.)

Giant Pros
Faster
Cool looking

Giant Cons
Expensive
More prone to damage
Seem to wear faster
... well the only con really is the cost

Does anybody have some thoughts/comments etc.
dennist

Re: Holes in tyres or your wallet

Post by dennist »

One would hope that with all the discussion in the US that some affordable alternative will eventuate.

IMO if there was a rule change banning large hubs, then there should be a transition period for those who have purchased a lot of tires.

Also there has to be competition in the market, so allowing only one brand in rules is a problem.

Hopefully there will be a solution shortly as a least bodies and chassis are relatively cheap, unlike motors and tires.
CAB77

Post by CAB77 »

This is a double edged sword. I agree the price of tires is getting on the dear side. I benefited from them in a few classes at Peter's track. I can't say that I would be using all those fancy wheels at every race meeting. They were definitely faster. In 15's they were almost a tenth faster a lap then the KOF472B-WX hubs that are $7 cheaper. I would hate to think how much slower standard hubs were on a track like Mobile Raceways.

As far as opens is concerned I think it will always be whatever you want goes. But maybe every things else we can look at a price cap on tires for the race. It would have to be almost a track by track tire rule but. I certainly don't think it will be a bad idea for controlled tires in a class. It all helps control costs in the sport. It's hard to do with different chassis and bodies requiring different tires to achieve the same result.
Regards
Adrian
Slick 7 Raceway
lindsayb

Post by lindsayb »

My 2 bobs worth -

First of all - all class's I raced I used Alpha hards on 500 dia rims - tried large rims in practice with 27 lite and went backwards. (PS I used Alpha hards at Rocky as well)

Driving on 500 dia tyres I doubt whether the holes mean didly squat.

All tracks bar the central coast 500 dia tyres are fine. When we get to the fast track I expect the smaller dia rims to suffer with both performance and motor heat.

I have donuts and will probably just reuse non bent large rims.

The concern will be what do other people use, I expect that if the tyres retail for $28 US they will be $40 plus over the counter.

We do need to think about what we do here and how that impacts lower class's.

My personal view, 3 sizes in rims, not drilled and not milled - costs should then be around the $15 mark, but we are at the mercy of the U.S manufactures on whether they play ball - I know both PA and Paul P are looking at options.
Timmy Tyler

Post by Timmy Tyler »

I think you are being very sensible, Lindsay. You are definitely on the right track. Why not just mandate a maximum hub size (say .530") and no drilling? That leaves plenty of room for drivers to experiment with different hub sizes and rubber compounds, without the worry of strict (and possibly unenforceable) regulations.