Retro Driver

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
Woolshedjack

Retro Driver

Post by Woolshedjack »

After a 30 plus year break from all things Slot Car I was delighted to find this forum and also to see names I remember from when I raced and for a while worked at Quikslot in Huntingdale, Springvale, and then at Village in Bentleigh in the seventies and early eighties. Vaguely remember winning a Summer Series Group 15 title way back then (Still have the trophy) as well as racing Group 20.
I still have all my scratchbuilt chassis (about a dozen) and other stuff too as well as a chassis given to me by Kim Axton way back then. Whilst I am a long way from any commercial track I might resurrect some of the old rockets and give them a run for old times sake when I am in Melbourne next.
Maybe a new retro chassis might happen too.
People I raced against at Quikslot back then from memory were Kim Axton, Frank Brockmuller, Paul Close, Flavio Lacotta, Steve Blackburn, Chris Cole, Phil. Cole, John (Jack) Couche, Russell Steadman, Dean Harrington, Mark Fox, (Prof.) Graham Roberts, Mark Graden, Glen Lehman (dec.) Rob Groom, his sister whose name escapes me, Russell Gale, Dave Kerr and some unlikely character known as 3Pin who had the worst cars ever and caused mayhem whenever he was on track.lol
Wonder how many of the names I mentioned are still involved. Maybe a Quikslot re-union is needed.
The only track up my way (North east Vic). is a big scalextric track in Albury.
Now if only we had a Blue King..
My name for those who may remember is Darren Sutton.
Woolshedjack

Re: Retro Driver

Post by Woolshedjack »

A few more from those days, Alan Gell, Howard Penrose, Rob Mashiter, Glen Steadman, Brian Stebbing, Wayne Burnside, Martin Dartnall, and more to come. Does anyone know what became of the old Quikslot Blue King? I heard its still in use, but no idea where. Will post some retro chassis pics in the next few days.
Timmy Tyler

Post by Timmy Tyler »

Russel Gale still races regularly at King Willys in Melbourne. Indeed, last night he broke the Wing 12 race record. Mark Fox is in Sydney and races retros at Hornsby. Kim Axton is in Brisbane and racing model cars. That's all I know of your old friends, because I am relatively new to Australia.

Welcome back!
Woolshedjack

Post by Woolshedjack »

I see in this weeks Auto Action in the Back to section in 1978 an advert for Quikslot Raceplace in Springvale. What a great time we all had. Saturday night was race night and we ran all classes from Womp Womp, to Group 20.
lindsayb

Post by lindsayb »

Kims Axtons King track, went to Newcastle NSW, then to Fairfield NSW and then I think to the tip. By that stage the slots had worn to the extent that it was no longer viable.
Woolshedjack

Post by Woolshedjack »

I would love to know how many laps were done around that track. Millions or more. lol
Hmmm, now I wonder where I can get some plans or drawings.
oldracer59

Post by oldracer59 »

Yes I do remember you Darren I'm Martin Dartnall, you've bought a few names back from the past such as Steven Burnard, Rob Mashiter and Wayne Burnside. add in Peter Jansen who with a mate was instrumental in starting the Vic Commodore racing series in the late 80's and 90's. David Hassall whose ability to paint a full replica paint scheme on the inside of a body was unbelievable a real talent and went on to Edit Auto Action. I don't know how many remember the day I stuck a Group 12 motor in a womp womp ( about a 32nd scale car Kim bought in to try) and went into turn one flat and managed to get it over the top of the roller door. I don't know about you and the others but when ever I hear "Boppin the Blues", "Ma were all crazy now" or "Ballroom Blitz" I am immediately taken back to Quickslot Huntingdale I think it was in Edinburgh St. I moved out of the area before Quikslot moved to Springvale, which was ironic as I used to ride my Dragster (remember them) from Sandown Park to Huntingdale almost twice every weekend. Finally to Kim Axton if you happen to read this THANKS for opening Quikslot and giving all us young fella's lots of fun, I hope you know just how good it was, very much appreciated.

Martin
Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox »

Hi Martin

Wow you have a much better memory than I but you have certainly resurrected a few long dormant brain cells with the names you have listed. Rob's sister was Susie from memory.

I have fairly regular contact with Kim and I will email him this link.

Great to hear from you.

Cheers
Regards - Mark 8-)

"Do Less with More Focus"