Adelaide Hills Model Raceway - Lobethal, SA

General Track / Raceway Discussion & Track Listings.
dennist

Adelaide Hills Model Raceway - Lobethal, SA

Post by dennist »

Jason and Michelle have just restored and opened their 157 foot, 8 lane 1/24th track (used to be at Gawler in the 60's), they also have 3 X 1/32nd tracks and a dragstrip. Has a very large range of model and resin kits.

Worth a visit. Will try to get some pics.
Koford1

Re: Adelaide Hills Model Raceway - Lobethal, SA

Post by Koford1 »

Good on 'em. I hope they do well. :D

Look forward to the pics !!!
Regards

Chucky
Pontiac Jack

Post by Pontiac Jack »

Here ya go:

Cheers,PJ
dennist

Post by dennist »

Thanks PJ.

You may notice in the background of that pic up high, a stack of model kits, these just about surround the whole building, many are "vintage", so if you are into modelling, there's another reason to have a nice drive up through the Adelaide Hills.

While your there you might be able to keep the misses happy as well - Lobethal also has a good bakery, a restaurant/brewery, markets in the old woolen mills complex and was the site of many Australian Grand Prix's in the roads surrounding the town in the "good old days". It is a popular spot around Christmas when virtually the whole town lights up with Christmas lights and displays. The National Motor Museum at Birdwood and Melbas chocolate factory at Woodside are nearby as are many wineries.
Koford1

Post by Koford1 »

Great track for Retro Racing!!
Regards

Chucky
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

YES !!!

I Thoroughly agree Charles,..!!!

Looks in very good 'condition' from the photos,.. :)
Pontiac Jack

Post by Pontiac Jack »

Dennis,what sort of surface did Jason end up using?
Last time I saw him,he was thinking of going with a slightly textured surface rather than a smooth one.
I think he said the lane spacing was pretty tight too,maybe 4".

Yeah Chuck,I reckon you're right,it looks like a killer retro/scale track.
I can picture a fleet of out of control humpies flying around the bank now!.... :D :D

Cheers,PJ
Koford1

Post by Koford1 »

Most probably 4" due to build date, still fine for retro, the 4" makes it a challenge trying to pass with Retro cars-especially F1.
This track would be worth travelling to for a Retro Nats. Maybe the owner could fill us in with some specs on the track eg Surface, lane spacing braid depth and power.
Regards

Chucky
dennist

Post by dennist »

Unfortunately, the track has a Feredor surface, but traction was ok with sponges.

I have recommended thay start out with "Flexi" type cars for racing and just change bodies.

IMO - These are good quality, fast cars that are much cheaper and dont need the extensive mods of "Model Cars".

From what I have seen with model car racing, buy a car, then virtually change and mod everything to be competative including buying multiple motors, tire running in machines etc.

Thats why I think Flexi's would be much simpler cheaper and better option for "beginner" type racing as Jason and Michelle have not come from a slotracing background (Jason makes great resin stuff that he sell via the net) and are on a steep learning curve.

Also it sounds like they have been told some incorrect things about slot racing, why Redline closed etc that are by people who may have their own agendas.
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

I have recommended thay start out with "Flexi" type cars for racing and just change bodies.
IMO - These are good quality, fast cars that are much cheaper and dont need the extensive mods of "Model Cars".

From what I have seen with model car racing, buy a car, then virtually change and mod everything to be competative including buying multiple motors, tire running in machines etc.

Thats why I think Flexi's would be much simpler cheaper and better option for "beginner" type racing as Jason and Michelle have not come from a slotracing background (Jason makes great resin stuff that he sell via the net) and are on a steep learning curve.
Hey Dennis,..I can Only 'Thoroughly' Agree,..in fact was having Exactly the Very Same conversation with Kim only recently,...

After 'chatting' with Kim about various Race Classes, chassis/cars, relative popularity etc,..I was standing at the counter at HSc chatting after a club racing night and in the Window, was a Very Smooth Looking "Bentley Speed 8" coupe,..based around some kind of "Flexi" Chassis and is a Class that is Raced at HSC and the Whole Car TRULY !!,...Ready to Run/Race,..was 85 or 98 Dollars as I recall.

So there is a Car that will "Instantly" provide Fun,..Straight Off the Shelf,..and,..even though I have Never really been a Fan of Flexi Cars/Womps etc,...they Do Easily and Cheaply provide Simple 'Initial' "Interaction",...Both at the purely Fun level, but also,..With The SAME Car !!,..allow a transition Into Actual Racing !!

I guess in Any class of Slot racing it will Never really be possible to disallow the Racer that goes OTT as far as Motors and equipment goes,..but Flexis, (at Club Level) are invariably well controlled and the racing Can be and at least at HSC IS Well attended and Very Popular.

It makes for a difficult comparison with the various Scale cars,..purely on cost and as you also mention the experience, or Lack of in regard to the raceway owner/operators etc.

Pity that Adelaide track is Ferrador though,..(well, as far as Retro goes that is), I'd imagine that would be a questionable 'Issue' for Some if it Was a possibility!!,..lol

:) :D
dennist

Post by dennist »

Stewart,

Why is it that there are still 1/24th ferador tracks in Australia?

Had a run around the Lobethal track - managed to get some traction after a fair bit of running and lots of tire cleaning, although still slippery got down to 6.6 sec laps with a Flexi and about 7.6 with a modded Scaleauto, but it's convinced me that I don't think ferador is a good surface (they were right in the 70's to change from it).

Rubber everywhere, I reckon you wear tires out about 5 times as quick as a smooth (much grippier) surface conditioned with a bit of spray. There was virtually no tire wear in the Scaleauto 8 hour Enduro on Thunderbirds smooth track.

I was amazed to see that Chris at Thunderbirds was refurbishing the old Redline figure eight with a ferador!! surface. It is a party/hire track - will cost a fortune in tires and eventually maintenance, resurfacing etc. In commercial 1/24th centres IMO ferador should be retired like it was around 1970 everywhere else in the world.

Gary Johnsons King at Mobile Raceways surface (paving paint) is still good after 20 years.