The Retro Round Up!

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
RACER X

The Retro Round Up!

Post by RACER X »

Hi Racers,

The Retro Round Up!

Well what an awesome group of racers and some very close racing,
Thank you all for coming can’t have racing without racers.

FX-FJ
1. Rob 134
2. Jack 130
3. Greg 128

Retro Can-Am
1. Rob 163
2. Jack 158
3. Greg 158

Retro F1
1. Rob 159
2. Jason 158
3. Ray 156

Muscle Car Masters
1. Ray 168
2. Peter 168 - but I don’t count! :cry:
3. Jack 168
4. Jason 167
5. Rob 166
6. Larry 165
7. Greg 164
8. Richard 160
9. Chris 155
10. Loren 142
11. Martin 141

Well done everybody especially Rob, Ray, Jason, Greg, Jack, thank you Loren for race directing, :D

I hope you liked the trophies, good racing and maybe we will see you next time!

Thank you!!! :ugeek:
Get out there and have fun...!
Image Racer X
SlotBaker

Re: The Retro Round Up!

Post by SlotBaker »

Looks like a good night's racing with a nice group of people, and some cool looking cars. :)
Any chance of showing some chassis shots of the Muscle cars? :shock:
Thanks for sharing.
Steve King
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Yeah,..thanks for 'posting' that info' and pics here Peter,...is Nice to know what is going on in the Other States !!
:)
RACER X

Post by RACER X »

Hi Racers,

Sorry Stu I’ve been busy bud!

Steve the first one is a Tom Thumb style chassis but with some Chook mods, Drop arm is locked up and other Bees & Pees also.

Second one is just a Slick 7 kit with loads of mods to, shortened, motor box cut and reworked and all that.

Most of the bodies we run restrict the front of the chassis a lot!
So what we do is cut the body waaaaaaaaaaay below the cut out line so it will give us more room to push the guide out more, And yes you can have a Catflap cut into the front bar...

The car that jack racers is an original Kim Axton chassis, built like a brick hit house!!! :lol:

RANDOM PIX,
Image Racer X
SlotBaker

Post by SlotBaker »

Neeto, I like'm.

They look like a lot of fun.

Thanks Pete.
Steve King
Koford1

Post by Koford1 »

Pete any pics of Axton's Brick%$#&house chassis for old times sake.
Regards

Chucky
RACER X

Post by RACER X »

Hi Racers,

Ill take some pix when jack is here on thursday night!!! :ugeek:
Image Racer X
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hi guys,..well until someone else photographs and / or 'posts' a Better picture,..I think THIS is the "Axton" Chassis of which has been mentioned.

I'm Sure either Kim or Mark (Fox), could probably 'enlighten' us, but from it's Design and Style, I'd have to suggest it was from around the Era that Fox was 'Sharing' Lodgings with Kim down in Melbourne,.. A Looong Time Ago !!,... :D

It Definitely Has 'Elements' of BOTH Kim and Fox in it's overall,..Style,.. :)

I believe 'Jack', has had that chassis for a Long time and would appear to go as well as it did,.."In the Day",..!! :D

MOST Definitely RETRO, and Very 'arguably',.."In the Spirit" of the 'Concept' !!,.. ;) ;) :D :lol:
Great Stuff.
Attachments
Kim Axton chassis from the Past.
Kim Axton chassis from the Past.
CHASSIS2.jpg (48.71 KiB) Viewed 18370 times
RACER X

Post by RACER X »

Hi Racers,

Relics from the past...

Look at that big 16-D powered weapon...Awesome!!! :ugeek:
Image Racer X
dennist

Post by dennist »

Kim, The Professor, Fox etc were very creative in those days, good to see people becoming innovative and inspired again (in their old age?).

Some of those chassis were not alltogether "bricks" as we went through a stage of using quite thin cabinet scrapers for the front end at one time.(which looks like were used on Kim's Chassis).

I had cars where the inside 2 rails joined behind the guide piece and the outside rails attached to front section into angled tubes - this gave stiffness down the middle and flex around the guide - lent one of these to Garry Griffey (with a 25# "Steube" motor) who won the Brock with it one year. I wish I still had all those old scratchbuilt chassis.
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hi Dennis :) ,

Ever so slightly 'Off Topic' perhaps,....
Kim, The Professor, Fox etc were very creative in those days
Sure were !!,...whilst I Did race in the 'Professor's Era, I did Not 'Know' him as well as I did both Kim and especially FOX.
"Foxy" and I have,..over the Years spent probably Far Too many Long and Late hours together in smoke and Flux 'fumed' rooms, soldering and Dremelling away,.... ;) :) :D

We have had a Great friendship from teenagers,..to this Day,..through Slot cars and Is one of my True Friends,... In fact it Was Still, a Very Good time to be racing Slot cars in Australia,, as when teenagers, we got to race against all of the Top, previous and much older 'Champions' and made friends with people Like 'Hutcho' (as an example) and Many others,...it really Was a very Creative period.

On a personal Note,..I am perhaps delightfully amazed,..that NOW,...after ALL those Years,... I can STILL Race, at what was (when a Teenager) MY Local track !!,.. Waitara (Now HSC), STILL In the Same Place as ALL those years ago ,... AND,..perhaps Even More Amazingly,...I am racing WITH,...Many of the SAME People that I started racing with !!

In fact,..in the Era when the NSW Association still ran regular 8 Hour Enduro's, Mark Fox, Wayne Bramble, Lindsay Byron and Myself, ran quite regularly as "Team MURA",..(mainly as we were running these really Cheap, straight off the wall Standard MURA #24 single machine wound armatures,...that were,..'Ballistic' !!,..at times in More ways than Purely Speed !!!,.. ;) :lol: ),...and am NOW,..often racing those Same people in our Retro racing !!!,... Lindsay in fact ran a car built by a friend of his in the US and borrowed my F1 and had a Great time at the last race and Charles Rickards races Retro's with us regularly,...the racing Really Has been Fantastic !!! and a Load of FUN !!
I wish I still had all those old scratchbuilt chassis
Oh !!!,..Don't Get me Started !!!,... :lol:

Whilst apart from just a few items, I have lost virtually ALL of my Old stuff,..but did in fact Amaze Fox, when we caught up again recently after many years,..as I HAD kept a Whole Heap of his and my own Stuff, from our Previous 'Dabble' with Slot cars, which would have been around the late 80's and early 90's,..Group 20's, 27's and stuff and even had His Original Old 'Model 1' Dremel !!!,..Boy did That thing Cut a Lot of Wire and Steel !!!,.. :D I believe Fox Does still have the Original "Ice Cream Cone" chassis ,...Somewhere in a Box in the Garage !!!,...lol,...who Knows,..perhaps even With that Damned Steube #23 that just 'Creamed' us all,... :D

Thinking of Old Chassis though and I guess even More 'Topically' appropriate,... Seeing as 'Jack' is running that Car of Kim's,..I was thinking I might try running This chassis of My own from way back,... a car that came about whilst preparing with Martin Renwick for a race at Quickslot as I recall,..Went well at G&D,..which was,..Pleasing !!,.. :)

Nickel Silver 'Pans' and 'Floating' "Bite Bar" and ALL !!!,.. :lol:

Cheers :)
Attachments
DSC00579m1.JPG
DSC00579m1.JPG (47.48 KiB) Viewed 18339 times
DSC00580m1.JPG
DSC00580m1.JPG (57.7 KiB) Viewed 18339 times
Pontiac Jack

Post by Pontiac Jack »

Stoo,I'm building the TTR (Tom Thumb Repro) chassis.
The first one was built from memory. I had one of these built for me by Tony Russo in about 1973. A few years later,I was working behind the counter and building them for customers on Saturday mornings. I was 13 or 14. I'd hate to think what they actually looked like,but I remember being very proud of my work and don't remember anyone bringing one back and telling me I'd sold them a lemon. :D
I used that original car,with it's Mabuchi 16D, for my first season of G12 VSCA racing. As well as club racing and hours of general track time. All I did was swap bodies for the different classes.

The only change I've made from the way they were built in the early 70's,is to lengthen the pans and increase their front to back movement. I also prefer to use a single piece of wire for the main rails,instead of seperate pieces for each side.

I'm amazed at how well such an antiquated chassis design handles. Using a sealed Parma 501,an 80's style Toyota sports body and ORANGE TYRES :o :o :o ...I lapped MR's King in 4.56's. About the same as a good Standard Flexi tourer.

Here are top and bottom views of chassis #1:

If you're interested in one,message me.

Cheers,Andy Stringer
bantamjack

Post by bantamjack »

Gedday Guys,

That "Axton" chassis that RacerX has featured above is the one that Kim used to win the 1974 - 5?? Australian titles with - so I have been lead to believe.

Here are a couple more oldies from the past. These were built and owned by Dr Dino (Dean Harrington) from Quikslot many years ago. The un-engraved short pan chassis was used by Dino to race in the USA Nationals with in the late 70's early 80's. I seem to remember that I was told he qualified second in open with it. These two chassis were given to me by Russell Gale who has been custodian of them for much of the past. The Nationals chassis is destined to be reborn as a retro some time in the not too distant future.

Jack :)
bantamjack

Post by bantamjack »

How about this oldie?

Built by Geoff Lang from Tom Thumb in Melbourne in the early 70's it was designed for one of the Moonee 24 hour enduros (if memory serves me well). Note the quick change clip in motor mount (rear retainer has gone). The chassis was built with very fine tolerances and has no down stops on the side pans as they were not needed. Back in those days the enduros used group 20 motors with wing car bodies. A mind boggling thought by today's standards.

Jack
bantamjack

Post by bantamjack »

Want more??

How about a water cooled hand controller.

Designed by Eric "Ace" Elliott so us Mexicans could run at G&D without cooking our controllers, they also doubled as a handy tea pot when coupled with a tea bag.

Jack