New Fox Chassis - 'Flatboy'

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
Mark Fox

New Fox Chassis - 'Flatboy'

Post by Mark Fox »

Hi All,

Here are some shots of my newest design - this is a WIP but is showing some real potential.

It has been called a 'Sled' by Stoo, a '1/24 Wompy' by Plucka and a 'Slab' by Steve King but I have named it 'Flatboy' :lol:

Wheelbase is 4 1/16 "
Guide lead is 5 1/16 "
Weight without lead is 113 gms
Lead added to date is 6 gms to make total 119gms as raced at HSC CanAm series Race #4
Top Shot
Top Shot
IMG_2944.JPG (66.15 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
Front end layout
Front end layout
IMG_2945.JPG (51.08 KiB) Viewed 6765 times
Rear end layout
Rear end layout
IMG_2946.JPG (56.46 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
Bracket treatment
Bracket treatment
IMG_2950.JPG (43.86 KiB) Viewed 6765 times
Bottom shot
Bottom shot
IMG_2965.JPG (37.61 KiB) Viewed 6761 times
Top shot - as raced
Top shot - as raced
IMG_2968.JPG (44.03 KiB) Viewed 6762 times
Regards - Mark 8-)

"Do Less with More Focus"
SlotBaker

Re: New Fox Chassis - 'Flatboy'

Post by SlotBaker »

Nice build Mark, and an interesting design.

How thick is the main pan? 0.030"??
Are the front wheels home made? Hutcho??
Sorry for being so nosey. :?

I guess you have left the front axle unsupported on the ends to allow the pan to flex??, but it looks a bit susceptible to a hit on the front end. Time will tell, eh.

There was a similar looking frame (different principles) like this on SlotBlog that they called the Egg Flipper. That was a spring steel plumber frame tho.
:)
Steve King
Mark Fox

Post by Mark Fox »

SlotBaker wrote:Nice build Mark, and an interesting design.

How thick is the main pan? 0.030"??
Are the front wheels home made? Hutcho??
Sorry for being so nosey. :?

I guess you have left the front axle unsupported on the ends to allow the pan to flex??, but it looks a bit susceptible to a hit on the front end. Time will tell, eh.
Hi Steve,

In answer to you queries: -

(1) Brass pan is .012".

(2) Some of the pics have Hutcho's fronts whiilst I raced it with JK fronts as per the pics.

(3) Yes flex was an objective but I also wanted the weight of the front axle carrier to be more centralised.

(4) I think it is fairly strong as there is a lump of .063" across the front and the 'rails' butt up to that - I did hit the wall a couple of times quite hard (for testing purposes only of course :lol: ) on Saturday night and no damage done.
Regards - Mark 8-)

"Do Less with More Focus"
hutch--

Post by hutch-- »

Steve,

There was a potential problem with the front wheels that I made and it was evident the last time I went with Mark up to Hornsby for practice. Depending on the weather the track can move at the joins slightly and on the day we turned up some of the track joins were higher on the traling edge than the leading edge so my cars with the very hard front tires actually bounced the front up in the air as it hit the joins.

Wayne did a minor adjustment to the track joins and they worked fine once the bump was gone but it means in the longger term that I need to find a slightly softer rubber for the front tires so it is more tolerant on track surfaces.