Wing 12 Qualifying Power

Aussie Wing Car Racing General Discussion, Information & Results.
il cavalino

Wing 12 Qualifying Power

Post by il cavalino »

Just wanting to get some input on the qualifying voltage for Wing 12's.

We have always qualified on race power in our state and club racing but have noticed a shift over the past year or so to sixteen volts in line with the "goo" wing classes at major Interstate Races.

I don't recall any discussion at any recent Nats (or perhaps I wasn't listening).

Can anyone shed any light on this??

King Willy
stoo23

Re: Wing 12 Qualifying Power

Post by stoo23 »

Please Excuse the 'Input' from an older Racer,..but, apart from providing the opportunity to just Go 'Stupid Fast' in Qualifying on such 'Elevated' Voltages, just How do people view the 'Relevance' of Qualifying at 16 Volts, compared to the ensuing 'Racing' at the Normal Track Voltage?

I have Never been a Fan or Supporter of this Mega Voltage Qualifying Fry session,..if it is Simply a Search for Astronomical Speed !!,..then Heck Race at 16 Volts !!!,..Go On !!,..lol

I am simply Unsure of Exactly What it 'Provides, OR Proves', On The Day.
I would VOTE for Track Voltage Qualifying in ALL Classes.

To be Honest, I think 'Bragging Rights' would be even More Deserved if Track Records were set at Normal Voltages!,..Like Massive 'Race' Lap Totals, Done at Normal Voltages,..I Know what I'd be More Proud of!

:)
il cavalino

Post by il cavalino »

Just read the 2009 Nats rules and Wing 12's qualified on race power.

The plot thickens!!!

King Willy
WSMCR-Plucka

Post by WSMCR-Plucka »

why do you not qualify on race power anyway?

What purpose other than ego boosting does this serve lol.

You do not see us cranking the drag strip to 18 volts and then 16 for racing.

Just a question as to why is all.
David R

Post by David R »

I agree with the above,,,,its just bragging rights ,,,,,
keith

Post by keith »

16 volts is good for g7 coz it makes em go whooosh smoke bang kaboom, that is always entertaining. I'd have it no other way.
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Koford1

Post by Koford1 »

Keith, G7 often exhibit the same behavoir on race power!

Seriously, running a C can G12 wing car on 16 Volts seems excessive in the sense they go good in the straight, yet fail miserably in cornering ability at the artificially escalated speed due to motor mass.
For the sake of the class, and I called Geoff earlier on in the week to discuss this, I'd qualify Wing12's on Race power.
Regards

Chucky
FC RACING

Post by FC RACING »

Since I'm probably the person most responsible for GP 12 wing cars on 16 volts i will add my 2 cents worth firstly we have been running GP 12 wing car qualifying on 16 volts since late 2005 in that time i can say that the number of motors i have seen expire on 16 volts can be counted on one hand' i have seen far more motors let the smoke out in races.
You only need to do a couple of laps it doesn't hurt a well built motor.
Qualifying is about going fast and yes it takes a certain amount of skill to get fast lap times on the bigger power.
Race power here is 13.6 volts Gp 12 wing cars with speed rubber on both full width and hub width will go round this track full throttle no backing off no skill in that just pull the trigger and watch it go round.
The skill in going fast on 16 volts comes in building a motor that goes hard on the big power not every motor goes better on 16 volts and then you need a body that not only works in qualifying but also as a race body the car needs to hook up.
The risk of breaking a chassis is minimal as the foam blocks are up on the corners.
16 volt s is the norm for Gp12 in the USA i know we don't need do what they do but for track owners like myself it gives you a yard stick as to how your track rates and how your motors and cars compare on the world stage.It is a global society!!
Yes it can give you bragging rights and this can help the raceway introduce new people to sport of slotcars if your track records are comparable to world records or track records of notable tracks Like Port Jefferson at the resent worlds GP12 qualifying Amateur 2.235 and pro 2.204 and i know that's in goo Makes Dan's 2.317 and Russell Gale's 2.2?? at Mobile Raceways in spray look pretty dam good makes me feel good about my track as Port Jefferson is one of the best tracks in the world.
Dan and i mucked around with 12's in goo a little while ago just to see what difference it makes on the average we got about 1/10 faster times on race power so a world class time is more than possible on this track not a bad thing when your trying to sell slotcar racing to the public.
I have no intention to push for 12's in goo!!
Now having said all that if Geoff wants to Run Qualifying on the Race power at his track i'm good with that but qualifying here will always be on 16volts for all wing cars.

Regards Carl
Always the Hydrant, Never the Dog
chadly

Post by chadly »

another horses for courses thing it seems.
same as:
- why do dragstrips run higher voltage
- why are circuit C can arms .513" and drag arms .510"
:(
Petrol is for cleaning parts
Alcohol is for drinking
Nitro is for racing
Slotcars are for going VERY quick!
il cavalino

Post by il cavalino »

Thanks for the input Carl, that's more like what I was after when I put up the original post, however when we are running National events we are bound by Nats rules and as I said before the 2009 Nats rules specifically say that Wing 12 qualifying will be on race power and I can not remember it being changed at the rules discussion at that event, so I reckon it stays at race power.

Geoff
Koford1

Post by Koford1 »

Carl, this is exactly what I'm afraid of ie

"The skill in going fast on 16 volts comes in building a motor that goes hard on the big power not every motor goes better on 16 volts"

From the track owners perspective I think the number of entries during for an event are more important than one hot lap.

Competitors with purpose built qualifying motors in this class may well be having a negative impact on entries as racers that can't afford the luxury of qualifying motors vote with their feet and decide not to race.

Slot Car (Wing) Racing in Australia can't afford that.

To my way of thinking encouraging a racer by improving their skills during the race with the ultimate aim of being there at the finish line and potentially being the first to cross it is far more important and far more beneficial to the hobby than the "Hot Lap" exercise.
Regards

Chucky
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Yes!, I was intrigued by that statement as well Charles, I'm Glad you picked up on it,..

I agree with you, re the Fact that we all Know that Many people cannot either afford, Or have the necessary Motor Skills, to have a Stock of Qual and Race motors,.... BUT,..to my way of thinking, it is a Better Skill to Learn how to Make Great 'Race' Motors and Learn How to Be Better, Faster, Quicker, De-Slot Less in the 'Race'.

I thought it also interesting Re the Statements about Racing them on 13.6 Volts!
If That Is the Case, then it's a Poor advertisement for the Class of racing and perhaps something should be Changed !!

People Do lose interest when they 'Can't Compete' (In their Eyes). on a remotely even playing field.
il cavalino

Post by il cavalino »

Stoo,

I have always thought that if a car is doing flat laps it is not going as fast as it can potentially go.

If you were to cut down the wings or use harder or narrower tyres you should be able to be faster.

Geoff
FC RACING

Post by FC RACING »

Firstly let me qualify the statement about the 13.6 volts we are talking about qualifying here and you want to go fast as possible so you use speed rubber, this stuff gives the car the speed of running on giant hub tires using extra hard compound but the car hooks up in the corners like it's on soft tires. You get a faster time doing this than using extra hard tires or cutting the tires down so you have to drive the car.
The use of this tire is not what to use in a race as not only do they wear away very quickly but they get so hooked up the motor overheats and out comes the smoke.
So you use a tire that gives the car good handling but you still have to drive it around.
Racing is a competition and skill is how you win qualifying is just one part of it so those that have skill in this department may not have the skills to win a race. For the most part it's rare that TQ wins the race. To pooh pooh people because they have the skill to go fast in qualifying is prejudice.
The rules In the ASCRA rules under track power it says the following
TRACK POWER SUPPLY:
1. Nominal track voltage for racing in all classes shall be 13.2 volts DC to 14.2 volts DC.
2. Under no circumstances should track voltage exceed 14.2 volts DC during racing.
3. Qualifying voltage -
Sedan Classes - qualifying voltage shall be maintained at racing voltage - maximum 14.2 volts DC
Wing Classes - qualifying voltage shall not exceed 16.0 volts DC
IT says voltage shall not exceed 16.0 it doesn't say you have to have 16.0
Like i said before i.m happy for other tracks to use race power for qualifying
but it will remain 16.0 at this raceway
I don't believe that the use of 16 volts chases people away in fact the the rush they get from going faster than they have helps to encourage them. I see the look on their face.
Regards Carl
Always the Hydrant, Never the Dog