Retro Calender 2010

General Discussion, Race Reports & Results for this Great 'Scratch-Builders' Class.
stoo23

Retro Calender 2010

Post by stoo23 »

Hi Guys,..figured I should Update the Retro Race Dates at HSC,.. :D

February 13th CanAm & F1
March 13th CanAm & F1
April 10th CanAm & F1
May 8th CanAm & F1
June 12th
July 10th
August 14th
Sept 11th
Sept 18th 'Retro Nats'
Nov 13th
Dec 11th & 12th NSW State Titles

The Australian and State Titles will be using CanAm bodies.

I am unsure on which date we Start using 'Coupe' bodies, but will 'Post' when it's known. :D
Last edited by stoo23 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
il cavalino

Re: Revised Calendar

Post by il cavalino »

Hi Stoo,

I remember racing in a Retro race last December at Horsnby and there were about 19 entires, now you are getting 5 what has happened.

We are struggling to get interest in the class down here yet it is apparently booming in the U.S.

Just some observations which may or may not be relevant. (Just observations not criticisims).

My initial concern at trying to get people interested in the class is hampered by not being able to buy a chassis (a builit one that is) and indeed a complete car.

Motor choice (they are slow compared even to a flexi car).

Can Am was hugely popular in the U.S. but not so much so over here. Is there a case for cars with more scale versions of Aussie Touring Cars, or something more relevant to this country.

P.S. good to see that you guys are running a Nationals for Retros, but for it to be a Nats don't you need to have some input from other states, or at the very least tell them about it. We have heard nothing about it down here!!

Geoff
lindsayb

Post by lindsayb »

For me, I actually thought about going, but they have changed the body, now needing a coupe.

Means I cant just turn up and race - I need to go to the track get a new body sometime before the race. Just have not had the time.

One a month for a race is prob more sustainable than once every 2 weeks.

I like the idea of the cars that Hutcho came up with, but we will need more interest from other people to race.
hutch--

Post by hutch-- »

I am sorry to see retro slowing down but it does make sense for reasons that Geoff mentioned. When I first started playing with retro cars I had hells own job getting enough stuff to actually build one. Fox and Stooo helped out with some of their old bits, Wayne ratted through his own bits and the HSC stock to find me more bits and eventually I had enough stuff to build a car and a hand controller.

Bodies were hard to get for months and it was not until James took over HSC and started to order and supply some decent stock that I had a body to design a car to fit. Cumulatively this made it too difficult for many to try and race retro and the other factor is its only the old guys who know how to build inline cars properly.

I have been brain picking the older guys to put together a new set of fully Australian racing rules for a "classic" class based of the design freedom of the old VSCA and NSWMRRA rules so that existing stock held by the tracks can be used to build competitive easy to drive cars and one factor with this is the capacity to use existing stock chassis at the entry level.

I gather without knowing the details that a FLEXI chassis could fit the basic class rules which allows a lot of existing knowledge to be applied to this new class.

The other factor is how a racing calender would be run for a class like this. For a new class to succeed and put some life back into current slot car racing, it needs to be marketed differently so it is not seen as just another WAMP WAMP class. Tread down the same path and get the same result.

A class of this type offers an alternative to the Plafit cost range and screwdriver mentality and is capable of delivering some reasonably fast easy to drive cars because in the final analysis there must be a viable attraction to slot car racing to keep people coming through the door supporting the track owners.

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hey Hi Geoff,..others

Yeah,..I Guess, in reality, if you look at the Larger body of people for whom Retro here and overseas is popular with, it is Older Racers,..who I guess it could be argued,..'Found' Retro, Not so Much the Other way around.

It being What it was , isn't, wasn't and I doubt would Ever be envisaged as a 'Beginners' Class as such,..although,..Way Back when I started, This Would have made sense, because there was Nothing you Could buy that was actually Worth Racing.
Competition Cars HAD to be built.

I guess Sydney was a slight 'Anomaly' in that there Was a Body of Humans who WERE interested and Either had Already 'Built' cars, from Scratch, or from Kits.
When strangely a Few Extra Old Bods Like Fox and Myself, Hutch and Others showed interest and with Wayne 'Madly' Building a Whole 'Bunch' of Cars,..it Wasn't Hard to end up with Enough people either 'Vaguely' interested in 'Having a Run', or had or were seriously Building cars.

Here in Sydney, Cars Aren't a Problem even for the 'Casual' Racer, as Many of us have Spare "Good' Raceworthy Cars we can Loan and HSC has a Few as well.
At the Moment,..we are Lacking Racers,..and there Are People who DO have Cars to Race.

As to Chassis availability etc,..Well,..There Were R-Geo bits and Pieces and 'Kits', JK 'Kits' and the Venerable Warmack 'Kit'.
Like Many of the Guys who started Retro here, I got some of the Bits I needed from Overseas, after chatting with people on SlotBlog, I tried to get what I figured I needed here, but (At the Time), it Was difficult
It's fairly Obvious, even as a Casual Observer, that 'Those Steeenkin' Kits', actually go Bloody Well and the JK, Built Plain and Simple IS surprisingly a Damn effective Chassis, with Many Build Possibilities, for those inclined to Experiment.

So,..as Steve King has Often Commented, the Increased 'Interest' Here, Happened, because People were actually Running Good cars around and People got to have a Drive of them and Liked them, after a While a few more had them,..and Then it Grew.

There has been a Lot of 'Jabber' about 'Kits' overseas,..but I don't think that Will prove to be an 'Issue' here.
RudyG's Slick7 Chassis,..apart from being probably a Damn good series of Chassis for Any Class/Form of Racing, could probably also Help with numbers Especially as He will Soon have Built Chassis available.
CharlesR built and raced one Recently in a Round and TQ'd with it !!
It Looked Good, but Didn't Wipe the Floor with us,...so,...

Seeing as Everyone these days just wants a RTR,..the Slick7 cars could Very well be an Option,...as would I most Graciously suggest could have been Cars built by Yourself,... ;) ;) :D :D :lol: I am Damn sure Wayne made some Good 'Beer Money' out of His 'Builds',.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Motors ??,..Yeah,..well we have discussed this Before.

As I didn't Create OR Choose these Motors, (the CheetahII), I DO Have to 'Applaud' the Choice,..(Thinking Purely HSC Locally here btw), as They Do 'Suit' the smaller Johnson Road Course track, Very Well.

Sure it could be argued that a Faster Motor May have been a Better Choice,..BUT,..a Lot of the Guys who were 'Initially' interested in Racing these cars Came from a Flexi/Vintage/Scale car background and interest and I guess arguably Wisely, it was Figured if they Weren';t Too Fast, they would be 'Accessible' to Most,..Especially around that Damn Tricky Little HSC Track !!
I think Racing These Cars around a King or even Kingleman,..Much like the Prospect of the Same on the Big track at Waitara, would be Extremely Dull,..lol

Obviously in Melbourne, as in 'The States', a More Powerful Motor would be the More sensible Choice.

Mind you, compared to the CheetahII and comparitive Longevity say to a Falcon 7, the Cheetah !!'s have Definitely provided Good Performance, Bang for the Buck and Have Lasted Well.

As to CanAm,..Well, I would have to Argue that The Whole 'ERA' of Sports/GT/Endurance AND CanAm was Extremely Popular.

How can ANY serious Car Racing 'NUT' Not Love Hugely Powerful Extraordinary Looking Cars Like the Later McLarens and CanAm Porsches,..let alone cars like the 917.
MY bedroom wall as a Child was Covered in those Cars, with I guess McLaren Orange being a 'Prominent' colour !!!,..lol
I used to 'Sweat' on Copies of Road & Track to arrive to Read about the Latest CanAm races

Personally My Own interest in Local Racing was Also in 'Real' Racing cars,..sure there Was some Fantastic Sports/Sedan style races back then,..but I have Truly Lost Interest in the current V8 Supercars.

In regard to the Nat's etc,..well,..Yes,..One Would Like to Know about these things.
I am simply Reporting the Dates 'as supplied' and Modified from HSC's Calendar (which IS available for download from their site), BUT, I Seriously agree with you in That if I was going to be Holding a Race, I would be Making as Much Noise about it in as Many Places as I thought suitable.

In that regard as well, may I say I am somewhat amazed that so Few people Have made use of either This Forum, or the ASCRA site to either Place Information or Advertise Races or Products etc.

It is ONLY a Very small Group of 'Regulars' that Post on Here Many of Whom aren't racing Retro's at HSC.
Most of those who have stopped turning up aren't even Members here.
I was kiund of hoping some Healthy interest and discussion may have occured amongst the interested local racers, but that has Not been the case, Many observe invisibly, few comment Creatively.

So one Would kinda Have to argue that it's Going to be Damn Hard to have 'Input',..lol

As to whether it IS a Nat's and or should be called that and Why,..ls an 'Issue' I have seen raise it's Ugly Head many times before and IMHO has Never been resolved..
I'd Venture, that as it can be understood WE are running (Modified IRRA rules), which are easily accessible, if It's Called a Nat's and people from a Number of States Turn up to Race with suitable cars, then it Could be Argued that the Event was a Nationally accepted event.
Makes you wonder about the US's "World Series" Baseball eh,...ROFL

Hey Lindsay !!,..Poor Excuse,.. :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

Heck You even have an F1 That requires a Different Chassis AND Body.

Do you Really think that after All the BS that went down over the Coupe Body question that Anyone Would have Cared if you had turned up with ONLY a CanAm body to Race?
Mate You Know as well as I and Could I am sure have assured yourself of same with a call to Wayne, that You Would have been welcome to race,

This is about Having FUN,..NOT being Rule Nazi's,... :lol:
lindsayb

Post by lindsayb »

Thats good Stoo cause I still dont have a coupe body. so I will try and get to race in the near future
Mikey B

Australian Writing Association?

Post by Mikey B »

You guys need to go to the track more... Every time I come on here there's practically large novel on each subject. It makes my eyes go :shock: .... :lol:
Mike.
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Well atleast there IS something NEW to Read !!!

And I would be going to the Track 'More',..to do What ??,..... Watch Childrens Parties using the Facilities ??

:D
ozproducts

Post by ozproducts »

SToo this reply is just to you the raceway's phone number is 9489-5816 call this number and ask for wayne he'll be able to tell you when you can get on the track.

kid kaos
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Well,..Thanks,..But, I thought with the 'Smile',..one May have 'Imagined', I WAS making the statement in 'Jest',..Never having really been one to Just 'Hang Around' the Track,..OR to spend much time running etc,..

In MY View,..the Mere Fact that their May actually BE Endless Parties using the Facilities,..IS a Very Good Thing !,..and one I would Not Dream of Interrupting.

IF I was wanting to 'Test' as such,..I Would Call,..

I Guess perhaps,..having spent the Amount of Time I have spent in That Particular track since my childhood, let alone working behind the counter Many Eons ago, I feel I have Had More than a 'Fair Enough' Share !!,.. :lol:
stoo23

Re: Retro Calender 2010

Post by stoo23 »

Just a Note to inform of the Updated 2010 Aussie Retro Race Dates at HSC

:D

OR,..get the Calender Here; http://www.hornsbyslotcars.com.au/news/show/47
Tony.A

Post by Tony.A »

There is a class already that offers a good value for money and bang for your buck and that is Falcon GT1
stoo23

Post by stoo23 »

Hi,..Yes Tony,..Very Possibly,..BUT,..this is about "Aussie Retro",.which,... By Absolute Definition,..is a 'Scratch-Built' Chassis Class,..with 'Limited Motors,..as it 'Basis,..it is about Running Own Built/Scratch-Built Cars,..NOT about 'Affordable' Racing as such,..that is simply a by-product of Racing your Own Chassis.

Bit Difficult to Even attempt to Make a chassis as run in the Falcon GT-1 class and even if you did,..the Rules would Not allow it, as the Chassis MUST be one of those defined in the Rules and has the Ugly requirement,.."Must be Commercially Available",..which is EXACTLY, what Retro is NOT about,..in Effect,..Must NOT Be Commercially Available !!

Once again,...it is a Class designed by the Olders 1960's and 70's US Pro Racers, as a class that allowed them to Build and Race cars 'Similar' to what they Ran back then between 1966 and 1969,..Before Anglewinders became the Norm.

A class for Old Scratch Building friends to Build some New cars and have some Fun,.Without simply having to Buy/purchase, EVERYTHING Over the counter.

Quite simp[ly, a class for people who happen to enjoy theprocess of building a slot car from scratch, as much as Racing it,..VERY Satisfying and ofcourse,..They Handle Extremely Well,..a lot better than Many commercial chassis do as well,..In Fact,..a 'Kit' Retro Chassis, JK, Slick7 etc,..is Yet to Win consistently, even James Warmack Kit, IS in effect a scratch built chassis and has Not Dominated.

Whilst Here, it's Popularity is Restricted to NSW and HSC especially, a few Others interstate have cars and have raced, but over the Past few years has been One of the Most Popular classes.

Especiial;ly for the person wanting something Other than Just what EVERONE Else Has !!

Quite Simple really and a Lot of Fun,..you should Try it sometime :D
Tony.A

Post by Tony.A »

Hi Stoo,if you want to call the class "Aussie Retros" then why not runthe classic touring cars from the 60's and 70's such as the Falcons,Monaros,Valiants,Toranas,etc?
Perry

Post by Perry »

Tony.A wrote:Hi Stoo,if you want to call the class "Aussie Retros" then why not runthe classic touring cars from the 60's and 70's such as the Falcons,Monaros,Valiants,Toranas,etc?
Not a bad idea but they also raced Mustangs, Cameros and Porsche 911 in the Touring Car Champs but not the Manufactures if I remember right. If anybody has more info on this it would be good but I do think it would be good as they all don't really give any advantages.
Building Retro and Any Chassies, Motor True and Magnet Zapping
I just want to have Fun Again !